Topic: Grindhouse Errata

Is this possibly the first Grindhouse Errata?

page 20 of the rules has a table showing the minimum starting hit points for each class and lists fighters as 8 and dwarf as 6.

Should they be around the other way?

Re: Grindhouse Errata

I sent an e-mail about a typo, but suppose I can add it here now that a thread has been created: minor thing, but on the equipment list the staff is listed as costing 3 gp in the rural communities and 5 sp in the city. Of course, that may well be intentional. With all those trees lurking in the country, maybe the villagers just don't seem the point of carrying big sticks around, since they are freely available, and when an adventurer (those tomb-looting idiots) come asking for one, it takes time and effort to put a crude stick together; and the adventurers never seem to question the cost, what with all that treasure they're carrying.

As for your Hit Point question: fighters will always have a minimum of 8 Hit Points, and with a d10 Hit Dice, the dwarf minimum is about right, since in the old edition rules the minimum is the average plus a modifier (and dwarves get a +1 to their CON modifier), and fighters got a minimum of 8, because they are tough.

I don't see the description of the 9th level M-U spell Lost Dweomer in the spell discriptions.

Regards,

V

theskyfullofdust wrote:

As for your Hit Point question: fighters will always have a minimum of 8 Hit Points, and with a d10 Hit Dice, the dwarf minimum is about right, since in the old edition rules the minimum is the average plus a modifier (and dwarves get a +1 to their CON modifier), and fighters got a minimum of 8, because they are tough.

I hear what you are saying but fighter only roll a d8 and their minimum at first level is 8?  Basically they are maximum hps at first level?  The Dwarf who's primary advantage is a d10hp die, and needs a further 10% xp to go up a level, has a minimum of 6?  I suppose that could be right, it just doesn't sound right to me.

Only that staff thing is a mistake. Should be 3sp (a proper staff isn't just a simple carved stick, it's made and treated specifically for combat - use 10' pole and treat as an improvised weapon if it's just a carved stick).

In the equipment lists, oversized items are supposed to be marked in bold and italic. In my edition, all the oversized items are marked only in italic, i.e., you cannot tell apart non-encumbering and oversized items.

Yeah, this is my first post, and I’m complaining about an erratum. Sad, I know.

Hafergulden wrote:

In the equipment lists, oversized items are supposed to be marked in bold and italic. In my edition, all the oversized items are marked only in italic, i.e., you cannot tell apart non-encumbering and oversized items.

Yeah, this is my first post, and I’m complaining about an erratum. Sad, I know.

The stickied errata at the top of the post list deals with this. It's a font issue that was a problem nowhere else over the 360 pages but was a problem here. I thumped my head on the desk hard when I saw that...

Sorry, just saw the stickied thread and then read your reply.

On the other hand, it’s not that hard to figure out that a pike should count as an oversized item …

Some of this is errata some is stuff i would like clarification.

Rule Book Errata

Magic Spell Descriptions

Bookspeak - The Entire spell is missing.

Hallucinatory Terrain - The caster may affect 1’ square area per caster level.

Clarification Needed: Is this a typo? 1’ or 10’?

Dig - If digging straight down, there is a cumulative probability the walls of the pit will collapse, depending on the following medium:
Soil: 15% per 5’
Sand: 35%
Mud: 55%

Clarification #1: Would Snow be considered a separate medium or would it be the same as mud?

Clarification #2: Is the percentage chance per 5' for each medium or just Soil

Hold Person - Characters of a greater level than the Magic-User are unaffected as the summoned worms are not strong enough to affect these creatures, and undead and mindless creatures are not affected as the worms are unable to gain any hold on them. Victims of the spell are aware, and breathe normally, but cannot take any actions, including speech.

Clarification: Highlighted portion does not seem to belong to this spell. Is this from a earlier version?

Howl of the Moon - The transformation takes a full turn to take affect.

Correction: Change affect to effect.

Invisibility to Undead*-Undead creatures can not see, hear, or smell the subject at all for the duration of the spell or....

Correction: Change "can not" to "cannot", this is more a grammar thing, it is like this through out the book.

Knock - This spell allows the Magic-User to speak to a stuck, barred, locked, Held, or Wizard Locked door and convince it to open for him. It opens secret doors, as well as locked or trick-opening boxes or chests. It also loosens welds, shackles, or chains (provided they serve to hold shut something which can be opened). If used to open a wizard locked door, the spell does not remove the Wizard Lock but simply suspends its functioning for one turn. In all other cases, the door does not relock itself or become stuck again on its own.

Clarification: Does Knock suspend Hold Portal like it does Wizard Lock or does it destroy the spell?

Last edited by Evil Eli (2011-07-01 18:26:34)

Evil Eli wrote:

Bookspeak - The Entire spell is missing.

It's just missing from the free PDF; I caught this goof at the last second before sending the thing to the printer and just didn't go back and fix the already-done artless PDF.

Bookspeak
    (by Daniel Smith)
    Duration: 1 round per level
    Range: Touch
    The touched book animates, forming a mouth around the edge where the paper shows. You can ask the book one question per round, and if the information is inside it will answer. If anyone else approaches or asks questions the book snaps and growls that round instead of answering anything. Intelligent books may save to negate (as a Magic-User of a level equal to the author). Magical books don't impart their effect when they answer. The spell is a shortcut to actually reading a book, and it won't give more information than a careful reading would give.

Evil Eli wrote:

Hallucinatory Terrain - The caster may affect 1’ square area per caster level.

Clarification Needed: Is this a typo? 1’ or 10’?

10'.

Evil Eli wrote:

Dig - If digging straight down, there is a cumulative probability the walls of the pit will collapse, depending on the following medium:
Soil: 15% per 5’
Sand: 35%
Mud: 55%

Clarification #1: Would Snow be considered a separate medium or would it be the same as mud?

Clarification #2: Is the percentage chance per 5' for each medium or just Soil

per 5' for each medium, and for snow I would say it's a situational judgment call depending on how packed the snow is.

Evil Eli wrote:

Hold Person - Characters of a greater level than the Magic-User are unaffected as the summoned worms are not strong enough to affect these creatures, and undead and mindless creatures are not affected as the worms are unable to gain any hold on them. Victims of the spell are aware, and breathe normally, but cannot take any actions, including speech.

Clarification: Highlighted portion does not seem to belong to this spell. Is this from a earlier version?

Yeah, the previous version specified the "mystic force" used as weird worms. Ignore the "as the summoned worms are not strong enough to affect these creatures" bit, but undead, mindless creatures, and characters of a higher level than the MU remain unaffected by the spell.

Evil Eli wrote:

Knock - This spell allows the Magic-User to speak to a stuck, barred, locked, Held, or Wizard Locked door and convince it to open for him. It opens secret doors, as well as locked or trick-opening boxes or chests. It also loosens welds, shackles, or chains (provided they serve to hold shut something which can be opened). If used to open a wizard locked door, the spell does not remove the Wizard Lock but simply suspends its functioning for one turn. In all other cases, the door does not relock itself or become stuck again on its own.

Clarification: Does Knock suspend Hold Portal like it does Wizard Lock or does it destroy the spell?

Destroys the spell.

What's the damage when a Magic-User's lab explodes? It says 'd10', should I understand it's 1d10 or is the amount of d10s missing?