Topic: Rules Question: Leaping

How do you handle "leaps over a distance" in the game? I am currently writing on a module where this might become important, but I found no rules in the Player Core Book. Has there been anything like this featured in an official LotFP release before? Thanks in advance!

With kind regards
Gregorius21778

Re: Rules Question: Leaping

I would use a strength ability check with the encumberance as penalty.
Or the encumberance points reduce the maximum distance for a leap. As maximum distance I think 3 to 4 meters would be okay for humans (and elves), 2 to 3 meters for halflings and dwarfs. Also for this option the STR modifier should added to the maximum distance of the leap.
Also environmental circumstances should alter the maximum distance or the ability check.

Well, my players didn't have to leap a distance so far. I don't know if these options are satisfying.

Last edited by Olupo (2018-10-26 06:30:58)

Some other suggestions:

1) If it seems reasonable that a well-abled adventurer could make the leap, go ahead and let them do it w/o a roll. Maybe require they have light encumbrance to encourage some planning, attempts to throw their gear across the hold, or whatever.

2) If there's a good chance of failure, or perhaps if they want to leap across while wearing plate mail or carrying a 50lb sack of coins, then you could also do a d6 roll and on a 1 they fall hopelessly down the hole.

Thanks folks! smile This gave me enough food for thought.

With kind regards
Gregorius21778