Topic: Level progression

Though I've been buying the books for a while, I'm only just now getting to run my first LotFP campaign. (I'm normally a Call of Cthulhu guy.) I like how the classes are distinct and retain their own specialities, but I wonder about how effective non-fighters are in higher level combats, in particular against monsters with tougher armor classes. Does it get to the point where other classes are just spectators to the combat? Of course spell use helps clerics and magic-users, but is it enough? Mind you, I have no problem with imbalances (I'm a CoC veteran, after all); I just don't want players feeling left out.

Re: Level progression

I haven’t experienced anyone sitting out. Combat usually needs everyone to fight or run.

friartuck wrote:

Does it get to the point where other classes are just spectators to the combat? Of course spell use helps clerics and magic-users, but is it enough? Mind you, I have no problem with imbalances (I'm a CoC veteran, after all); I just don't want players feeling left out.

Actually no. See, EVERY class is a non-fighter class but the fighter. It is not like combat encounters are build around fighters (at least, I do not do this). Nobody but the fighters gets better in killing stuff over time, thereby only the fighter "shines" when it comes to combat.

Basically, the AC that you assign (or is assigned) to a monster tells how tough it is to hit it. AC:18 means it is tough to hit, as is a character in knights armor. If "everyone but the fighter" would rather not fight, the whole group should (and often will) run. smile

My experience: a couple of LotFP sessions as a GM, with a little more than a dozen combats, two of them against "monstrous" enemies, all of my own design

With kind regards
Gregorius21778

by not having +1 weapons and making plate mail so expensive. LotFP keeps the AC low enough that non-fighters have a chance against most monsters and Fighters do well against them. (Guns AC bonuses help too)