Topic: Rule differences between Deluxe and Grindhouse

While I don't know how far Mr. Raggi has gotten with Grindhouse, I'd appreciate a summary of the changes in the newer edition.  Unfortunately I don't have the disposable income I used to.

Also, will the free download include rules changes after Grindhouse's release?

Thanks

Frank Mitchell
"The law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread." -- Anatole France

Re: Rule differences between Deluxe and Grindhouse

The Grindhouse Edition will have its own free rules download. The Deluxe edition's download will not be taken offline, but will only be linked from the LotFP site.

An "update" PDF pointing out the rules differences will be put together after the Grindhouse edition goes to press.

Thanks.  I figured as much.  You don't seem the type to say "end your current campaigns and make new characters", just to take a wholly random and implausible example.

Last edited by fmitchell (2011-02-07 04:42:09)

Frank Mitchell
"The law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread." -- Anatole France

The new skill system (see the new character sheet download off the blog) is easily converted.

The new spell lists aren't so easily converted if a favored spell goes away, but then if you have the Deluxe Edition you can keep using that spell list (or just a specific now-missing spell), and the Deluxe Edition free PDF version won't go away.

Any other change is on the rules/Referee end and quite minor.

I love what you've posted so far about the Grindhouse edition. Just some additional thoughts for your consideration.

The original idea of the Cleric was a Van Helsing type. This got lost somewhere and he/she became the portable medic, a fairly boring job, for the party. I love how you've recast the roll in Grindhouse. Just another thought - will Clerics be able to use swords, etc. This was just a wierd thing that got put into oD&D and doesn't fit with a Van Helsing Type.

Also, in re. magic., have you considered using Vitality and Sanity rules for non-lawful spellcraft (Mages and Elves). i.e., using magic (e.g., more than you have slots), requires that you burn yours (or someone elses HP). Sanity rules are just cool for this kind of pseduo-lovecraftian/Moorcockian situation. Also, if I recall, The Elric/Stormbringer RPG gives different bonuses to Lawful and Chaotic characters - i.e., by allying yourself, certain things happen.

Just my opinions. Best wishes!

furashgf wrote:

The original idea of the Cleric was a Van Helsing type. This got lost somewhere and he/she became the portable medic, a fairly boring job, for the party. I love how you've recast the roll in Grindhouse. Just another thought - will Clerics be able to use swords, etc. This was just a wierd thing that got put into oD&D and doesn't fit with a Van Helsing Type.

There are no weapon restrictions for classes (beyond halflings and large weapons) even in the Deluxe Edition.

furashgf wrote:

Also, in re. magic., have you considered using Vitality and Sanity rules for non-lawful spellcraft (Mages and Elves). i.e., using magic (e.g., more than you have slots), requires that you burn yours (or someone elses HP). Sanity rules are just cool for this kind of pseduo-lovecraftian/Moorcockian situation. Also, if I recall, The Elric/Stormbringer RPG gives different bonuses to Lawful and Chaotic characters - i.e., by allying yourself, certain things happen.

No, not changing the underlying mechanics of the magic system. Just moving some spells around, removing some, adding some.

JimLotFP wrote:

No, not changing the underlying mechanics of the magic system. Just moving some spells around, removing some, adding some.

Come on, you know you want to. If you don't, I'll just have to buy it and make and post a hack, and I don't have any talent in game design, and it will suck, and then people will blame your game :-)

Arrgh! I read some comments and noticed that different classes had different XP per level. Arrg! No way to do my favorite "you go up every 4 adventures"! :-(