Topic: Lotfp Battlemat or no?

Hey guys! Do y'all use any form of board for your lotfp encounters, such as a battlemat? If yes, should I purchase a mat for best experience. If not, why?

Re: Lotfp Battlemat or no?

I do not. Battles are a bit more loose and abstract than in 3rd/4th edition d&d. I describe the scene, players describe what they do, we roll dice. Repeat.

Battlemats could be used to add mood, I suppose, but in general mats and minis are more important if you have combat maneuvers that rely on distance, flanking, etc.

I doodle the shape of the area on laminated paper with whiteboard marker. Battlemats are too gamey for me.

I started using one to give general ideas about layout. You may attribute that to my lack of ability to describe scenes perfectly I suppose. My players like it. It depends on the scenario though.

I did not used any such things so far. There -were- some points now and then where my players and I had a different picture of who is where, but usually it all worked out fine. Which is a good thing, because my gaming table is bit crowded at times (friends, char-cheets, space to roll dice, snacks, drinks, me an my GM-section behind the screen...)

With kind regards
Gregorius21778

My players are all Pathfinder folks. So they keep asking me to draw a map of the fight