Topic: How long is a turn?

You can only do one attack per turn/round, yet some spells with durations measured in turns seem like they should last longer than a few dozen seconds. How long is a turn? How long is a round?

Re: How long is a turn?

kanelel wrote:

You can only do one attack per turn/round, yet some spells with durations measured in turns seem like they should last longer than a few dozen seconds. How long is a turn? How long is a round?

A round is 6 seconds long. A turn is 10 minutes long. A segment is 1 second long.

You get a chance at doing one good attack per round. You get many possible good attacks per turn.

From my understanding of the old days, it was assumed that during the 6 second round your PC would jockey for position, make some feint attacks, maybe make a few half-hearted attacks and get one chance at a good damage-dealing attack. It was meant as a very abstract kind of thing.

Last edited by Solon (2017-06-22 03:52:01)

Thank you, that was very helpful.

Turns are often called "exploration turns", and are used on a different time scale, often to track movement around the dungeon (movement in dungeon exploration is often given "per turn"), it takes a Turn to search a wall, light sources last a given number of Turns. A common assumption is also that each fight takes one Turn, even short ones (a bit abstract, but basically it includes a bit of rest and recovery after the fight). A lot of non combat spells have durations given in Turns, as well.

Basically, they make it easier to track time in the dungeon, which was very important in the "old days" (and, to me, still is). smile

I use a special time tracker with tick boxes for each turn, where I can also note when spell durations end, when to roll for random encounters, when light sources run out, etc...

Last edited by Storapan (2017-06-30 15:42:20)

Blogging about OSR at Deep Delving