Topic: The precedent set by VAM!

Vag is magic's update to the magic system sets up spell descriptions differently than the core book.

Are we going to see miscast tables for all the old spells or do we make them up?

Re: The precedent set by VAM!

Right now, you have to make them up.

However, whenever the new Rules & Magic book is released, I'm pretty sure they will be provided.  Not sure if there are any plans to provide them earlier, or if there will be community involvement (as likely a number of people will be making up their own miscast tables between now and the time of the new rules book release).

If you can get your hands on one of the playtest documents, you can get the new version of "Cure Light Wounds."

Crunk Posby wrote:

Right now, you have to make them up.

However, whenever the new Rules & Magic book is released, I'm pretty sure they will be provided.  Not sure if there are any plans to provide them earlier, or if there will be community involvement (as likely a number of people will be making up their own miscast tables between now and the time of the new rules book release).

If you can get your hands on one of the playtest documents, you can get the new version of "Cure Light Wounds."

I did not realize they were the same as the playtest packet!

The main issue I see at the moment is the cleric.

If you simply adapted the M-U, no one would ever pick the cleric again.
Now from what I remember James is not the biggest Cleric fan and I think the cleric spell list will be merged into the magic-users.
From what I know there are individuals who created spell miscast tables on G+, but I dunno if they did that for clerics as well or how they are handling things.
I kinda like the new system, so Im kinda interested in conversions. (although Im wondering whether this reduces interest in the other classes that are currently available)

I ran a game with two MUs and no cleric, using the excellent weird magic system. I don't care if it's unbalancing or whatever. It was the most fun I've ever had with magic in a RPG!

Here's my simple fix. Players can can choose to be a M-U or a Cleric at character creation. Mechanically they are identical, except M-U use Charisma for their spellcasting save, while Clerics use Wisdom. This allows a character with either a high WIS or CHA to be a spellcaster.

This also allows them to be affected by things that affect either M-U or Clerics (such as the bonus spells available in England Upturn'd) and those times when a module calls out specific classes.