Topic: Standard adventuring party size

What adventuring party size would you consider as "standard" for Lamentations?

I could use some benchmark for the purposes of formulating a specific house rule I've been thinking about lately.

Re: Standard adventuring party size

5?

The old example of play in the tutorial book had a group of five players (minus one who had the flu or something).

Jason Thompson's illustrated walkthrough of the God that Crawls had eight adventuring-class characters, a linkboy and a teamster.

Bigger is better, obviously. You might start out with just one character per player, let's say four adventurers for a smaller table, but you should be ballooning out into a small army as you get a few levels' worth of money to spend on retainers.

Last edited by Sword Lake (2016-02-08 08:02:16)

I tend to play with three players nearly all the time. With the exception of god that crawls which i ran with four. I find it's better to get into the characters and do some personal development and elements when there are fewer.

I've run both Hammers of the God and Tower of the Stargazer at conventions. For Hammers of the God I had 3 players show up, for Tower of the Stargazer I had 8 players show up. Didn't have any problems either time.

For home play, I tend to just go with whatever number of my friends are interested in playing. I don't really subscribe to there being a "right" number of players. If fun is being had, go for it!