Topic: How do you handle the cleric in your games?

How do you handle clerics in your game?  I suppose it's meant for James, the pioneer here on blending D&D and Weird, but I'd love to hear from anyone running a Weird Fiction game that draws inspiration from the pulp horror masters.  I just started a blog to document my progress on the weird fantasy megadungeon idea, and the first thing I keep running into when I consider the setting is how to handle humanocentric, spell-granting deities in a setting based on Weird Fiction conceits.

Here's the thing - Lovecraft is basically an atheist (his universe has deities, but they are either inimical to humanity or impersonal forces of destruction like Azathoth and Yog-Sothoth).  My knowledge of CAS isn't deep, though I'm devouring his work rapidly - so far, it's not looking good as far as sympathetic priestly characters.  I suppose REH has a few evil priests for Conan to smash.  Certainly nothing like the quasi-christian Cleric class we're saddled with in D&D.

Just wondering how you handled it in your games and whether the class wrecks the Weird vibe.  Thanks for any insight!

Re: How do you handle the cleric in your games?

The clerics are merely siphoning off energy off of (uncaring entity) while attributing it to their (actually nonexistent) deity.

What people think is the One True God is actually their personification of a being like Azathoth. Azathoth doesn't give two shits if it has followers, let alone if some of those followers misconstrue what it is and siphons off some power to do whatever.

Derlethian Mythos - there are good Powers and evil Powers in conflict.

Clerical magic is actually an inherent ability, it's just that culturally people with such powers are considered divinely touched so that's how these people were educated (and uneducated sorts don't learn to use the full suite of cleric powers).

Gods are Nyarlahotepian interferers (I'd consider the Norse and Greek pantheons to fit here) and are granting power to certain humans for reasons that humans will never understand.

"Clerical magic" is just energy transmitted from ultra-tech normal human academic researchers in orbital satellites. If a PC were to travel into orbit they would find satellites named Zeus, Aphrodite, etc (replace with Your Campaign's Deities) that are pretending they are "gods" to clerics for some experimental purpose.

Who knows? Why answer the question?

The reason for the DM to answer the question is pretty simple - having divinely-powered agents of human-friendly gods in a setting meant to embody cosmic horror runs counter to the conceits.  Unless your game is about supernatural horror/ good vs evil; my current campaign is; I don't want any part of it in the future campaign.

I didn't ask how I could handle the issue in my campaign, I asked how (Jim and others) handle the cleric in your own weird horror campaigns.  Some of you guys appreciate the ST Joshi criticisms, you hate the Derleth approach to the mythos, I want to hear how you kept your game from devolving.

Me - I'll probably take an approach like this if someone wants to be a cleric:

"Many gods are worshipped and prayed to, but they've never spoken to you or answered your prayers; you wonder whether they're really out there.  Through your priestly training, you were taught rituals and devotions that have allowed you to cast spells and do amazing things; the priests of your order claim this is proof that your god is real.  You're not so sure.  Could the power of your spells be coming from somewhere else?"

...And pretty much leave it at that.  Allows the cleric to exist, but with doubts as to the source of divine magic, and no clear belief that there are any greater powers whatsoever on the side of humanity.

Beedo wrote:

I didn't ask how I could handle the issue in my campaign, I asked how (Jim and others) handle the cleric in your own weird horror campaigns.

I use a (mostly) monotheistic culture - the adventure that became Hammers of the God was the first bit in a two-pronged campaign... this bit involved the revelation that the One True Faith (the "Church of All", with the "Satanic" counterpart being "None") was sort of a religious virus that wiped out all other religions it encountered. Not in a "conquest" kind of way, but if the Church of All had influence over an area, no cleric of other religions could gain spells. They were cut off due to the "interference" coming from the belief in All. The idea that there was a dwarf deity and that other religions had spell-using casters once upon a time was a major campaign revelation - and then of course some of the Old Miner's followers popped up with cleric powers, and chaos ensued.

But I don't like the idea of actual personified divinity, so that's why I use Saints and such - allows the "God of x" thing to still be more or less valid and gives a potential answer for who's answering when one casts Augury or Commune and such.

...  I actually have thought about making the satellite thing the real answer (and even thought of that as the ultimate surprise after doing the Duvan'Ku City release, which I may or may not ever get to). Commune just puts you in radio contact with a bored communications flunkie who just happens to be on duty and is frantically looking up the answers to your questions on Wikipedia. big_smile

In a campaign with deities, I like the idea that an invading religion could cause "interference" that disrupts the ability of clerics to get spells; it's a more aggressive implementation of "deities get their power based on the number of believers" and would fuel a lot of religious fighting.

Having spells channeled down to clerics by bored technicians or customer service agents manning those orbiting satellites... wow, that's really messed up - but so true to gonzo old-time sci-fi/fantasy.

What popped into my mind was The Truman Show.  The sophisticated race that built the satellites came to this war-mongering, backwards planet for entertainment purposes.  Masquerading as deities keeps the pot stirring and the bullets flying.  Great for the ratings back home...

There's also the Eberron solution: clerical abilities are manifestations of belief, irrespective of whether the object of belief actually exists, or has godlike power.

I'm also fond of Gnostic cosmologies: regardless of what gods humans believe in, the only ones who exist are a powerful and malignant demiurge and a benevolent but nearly impotent emissary from a greater but distant power.  Each power uses human religions, sometimes the same ones, to advance its own agenda.

Alternatively, both powers are impotent, mere voices in your head.  All evil in the world arises from the actions of mortals, and all good as well.  Evil seems to be winning because of impersonal entropy: destruction is easier than creation, and the hearts of man gravitate toward greed, lust, and the desire for power.

The question "where does clerical power come from?" leads inexorably to "where does magic-user power come from?"  Perhaps, ironically, clerical power arises from natural but usually untapped human abilities but magic-users draw their powers ultimately from Gods of Chaos and Madness.

Frank Mitchell
"The law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread." -- Anatole France

fmitchell wrote:

There's also the Eberron solution: clerical abilities are manifestations of belief, irrespective of whether the object of belief actually exists, or has godlike power.

This is the system I used for a bit. But the errors quickly became evident.

From the PC's point of view, it's no different than having "real" clerics, because all real (i.e., spellcasting) clerics are true believers. There are no agnostics or atheists who can do clerical magic.

But on the other hand, guys who believe in ancestor spirits, or totem poles, or Greek pantheons, are just as effective as the guys who believe in all-powerful monotheisms, and they can't all be right. If ten different Gods all claim to have created the world at some point, and they all grant spells, then clearly there's something crazy going on.

Which would lead any sane non-cleric to conclude that (1) since it's impossible for all of the Gods to exist, and no one God is clearly in control, perhaps none of them exist, and (2) Clerics are really just crazy people (perhaps Chaos-touched), and their craziness is what allows them to tap into some source of power.

Which would pretty quickly become a self-fulfilling prophecy, because in a world where ten competing philosophies all claim world-creation responsibility, and they're all staffed by true believers, only more frothy-mouthed true believers will join the ranks while anyone with even an ounce of skepticism will quickly wash their hands of the whole thing.

So here's the system I use now:

There are Gods. Some are Lawful or Neutral. There are also demons of Chaos of great power. Clerics are the guys who through training and rites have access to the powers these beings can grant. They don't have to be perfect servants to the powers, just good enough. Perform the rites, go through the motions, don't break any of the really important laws, and you're good.

Irda Ranger wrote:

If ten different Gods all claim to have created the world at some point, and they all grant spells, then clearly there's something crazy going on.

Actually, this is the situation in Glorantha, the original world of RuneQuest and now HeroQuest.  All myths *are* true, even when they contradict each other.  For example, in the year 374 the sun stopped in the sky.  Elves in the southern continent believed that their god gave them extra sunlight to combat a blight.  The monotheists of the west believed their Invisible God had given them a sign to confound their pagan opponents and their so-called gods.  In the east the Dragon Emperor reached another stage of enlightenment, which caused the sun to stop.  In the center of the Northern continent a new god was born.  Dwarfs believed that the World Machine ground to a halt, and they fixed it.  And so on ... same miracle, different explanations.

In Glorantha, religion is a cultural thing: all westerners follow one of the Malkioni sects, all plains nomads look to shamans, each region in the "Holy Country" of Prax has its own god or pantheon.  Most places get by with a live-and-let-live polytheism, but cultures in conflict almost always have competing religions.  The Malkioni monotheists believe their Invisible God created the world and all pagan gods are deluded or malevolent beings from before the Dawn Time.  Polytheists have more-or-less the same creation myths, but with their particular gods as the heroes and opposing gods as villains.

While your world doesn't need to go to Glorantha's extremes, priests may believe in gods which fit comfortably in the same pantheon. (The typical thousand jealous gods of D&D are wholly ahistorical; lay people and other priests prayed to whatever god might influence their lives.)  Like the Western world, maybe all religions agree on the same god(s) but disagree on the way to worship.  Maybe, as in the Hellenistic world, people of different cultures try to connect all similar gods to each other, e.g. Roman Venus is Greek Aphrodite is Egyptian Hathor is ...

Last edited by fmitchell (2010-12-27 22:35:20)

Frank Mitchell
"The law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread." -- Anatole France

fmitchell wrote:

Actually, this is the situation in Glorantha, the original world of RuneQuest and now HeroQuest.  All myths *are* true, even when they contradict each other.  For example, in the year 374 the sun stopped in the sky ...

Actually, it's crazier than that. Because in a world where belief alone really is all that's necessary, you could have 9 Churches that "explained" why the suns stopped in the sky, one that claimed that the sun hadn't stopped, but in fact that the day turned to night (really. You hallucinated the whole sun-stopping thing. Just like everyone else), and one that believed the sun is a giant rutabaga.

And as long as they really believed it, they'd get spells.

Irda Ranger wrote:
fmitchell wrote:

This is the system I used for a bit. But the errors quickly became evident.

From the PC's point of view, it's no different than having "real" clerics, because all real (i.e., spellcasting) clerics are true believers. There are no agnostics or atheists who can do clerical magic.

But on the other hand, guys who believe in ancestor spirits, or totem poles, or Greek pantheons, are just as effective as the guys who believe in all-powerful monotheisms, and they can't all be right. If ten different Gods all claim to have created the world at some point, and they all grant spells, then clearly there's something crazy going on.

Which would lead any sane non-cleric to conclude that (1) since it's impossible for all of the Gods to exist, and no one God is clearly in control, perhaps none of them exist, and (2) Clerics are really just crazy people (perhaps Chaos-touched), and their craziness is what allows them to tap into some source of power.

Which would pretty quickly become a self-fulfilling prophecy, because in a world where ten competing philosophies all claim world-creation responsibility, and they're all staffed by true believers, only more frothy-mouthed true believers will join the ranks while anyone with even an ounce of skepticism will quickly wash their hands of the whole thing.

I guess I'm not seeing the problem with this approach - if fake cult A believes the world was created in 5 days, and fake cult B believes it evolved through a billion year process, and both of them have clerics capable of casting spells, and no one in the world can authoritatively prove that one god is real or fake compared to the other, then it's exactly the kind of ambiguity you need for Weird Horror.

I'm not interested in a cosmology that makes objective sense, where the players feel like their actions are part of some cosmic struggle of good vs evil; that's not really part of the source fiction for Lovecraft, Clark Ashton Smith, or REH.

Sure, my regular D&D game has a good deity, evil ones, the whole supernatural struggle you expect in fantasy; the thought exercise here was how to keep the cleric class in the game while having a vast, impersonal cosmos where there are no (real) deities that are interested in humanity; the folks of the world just made up whatever it is they believed in... Zeus, Thor, the Celestial Teapot... whatever.

Beedo wrote:

the thought exercise here was how to keep the cleric class in the game while having a vast, impersonal cosmos where there are no (real) deities that are interested in humanity; the folks of the world just made up whatever it is they believed in... Zeus, Thor, the Celestial Teapot... whatever.

Seems like a good way to breed ennui at the gaming table, if you establish that a Cleric's power is directly proportional to his descent into his own schizophrenic delusions. D&D is supposed to be fun, IMO, and that's depressing.

Irda Ranger wrote:

Seems like a good way to breed ennui at the gaming table, if you establish that a Cleric's power is directly proportional to his descent into his own schizophrenic delusions. D&D is supposed to be fun, IMO, and that's depressing.

So, you're just figuring out this thread was about taking a Lovecraftian and Weird Fiction approach in a D&D game?

Kidding aside, I'll take your complaint about subjective belief systems head on.  Let's say the DM is kicking off his new 'Heroic Age' campaign, he explains to the players how the gods live up on Mount Olympus, dead people go to Hades or the Elysian Fields, and the world was created by Rhea.  One of the players chooses to be a cleric, a priest of Apollo.  All is right with the world, from their perspective.

Later they run into some Babylonians, start gabbing about cosmology and how Rhea created the earth, and the Baylonian priest starts yelling at the characters` - wrong, wrong, WRONG!  Everyone with a lick of sense knows that Marduk created the current world from the body of Tiamat...

The priest of Apollo can do spells, so clearly Apollo is real, and the priest of Marduk can do spells, too, so clearly Marduk is real.  (The DM is thinking, wait until they run into some Teutons and hear their story...)

Point is, the real world is already full of conflicting mythologies and cosmologies.  The gods of one myth cycle are the demons of the next one.  Does the DM need to reveal any objective truths to the players about the real cosmology?  But this sense of ambiguity about how two different religions function in the same world would require schizophrenic delusions?

Mechanically, the only issues come into play with higher level spells like commune and plane shift, but there's no reason a player character couldn't contact something, or travel somewhere... just not what they expected...

Last edited by Beedo (2011-01-02 15:46:41)

Beedo wrote:

So, you're just figuring out this thread was about taking a Lovecraftian and Weird Fiction approach in a D&D game?

Heh, that's a fair point. The same thought occurred to me while I was typing the reply, so I deleted and re-wrote it several times trying to figure out whether or not to make the critique.

But in the end I decided the question was - "How do you handle the cleric in your games?". (Emphasis mine) So I answered.

Beedo wrote:

Point is, the real world is already full of conflicting mythologies and cosmologies.

The real world doesn't have clerics that can cast Cure Light Wounds on command though, and there's no undead to turn (that I've ever seen)s, so the analogy is of limited value. I totally get where you're coming from, but in "the real world", to the extent people can "do" things it's because they understand and can manipulate universal physical laws. Like thermodynamics and gravity.

Beedo wrote:

Does the DM need to reveal any objective truths to the players about the real cosmology?

No, but to the extent he DOES reveal metaphysical truths, they should promote fun and good play. Not depress people and make them want to turn in their dice and go play Xbox. That's self-defeating.

Unless your players are truly nihilists, and would believe that playing D&D is just as pointless as anything else they can do, so why not, eh? But I don't play with nihilists, so YMMV.

Beedo wrote:

Mechanically, the only issues come into play with higher level spells like commune and plane shift, but there's no reason a player character couldn't contact something, or travel somewhere... just not what they expected...

This doesn't make any sense though, unless you presume that no one in the game world has cast those spells before. Because presumably someone in the Church hierarchy has cast Commune at some time in the past and wrote about their experience. It's in the holy book somewhere. Chapter 3, I think.

I have the same issue with the Speak With Dead spell. If the afterlife is really a lifeless void without pain or pleasure, then presumably this would be common knowledge. It's a 3rd level spell, hardly High Magic. It would only take one guy who could cast the spell a few times (as often as necessary to demonstrate) to show people "This is how it is."

And in the Eberron "belief is power" system, that guy could even be an Anarchist Priest of the God of "Do Whatever The Fuck You Feel Like", so there wouldn't be any religious law preventing him from telling everyone just how depressing the afterlife is. And people would adjust their moral codes accordingly.

The reason we have a thousand religions on Earth is because you never get any definitive answers, just prophets who say stuff but cannot be confirmed. Spells like Commune or Speak With Dead need to either confirm the existence of each God's existence, or be non-committal either way. Because the truth will out, if truth be revealed.

Irda Ranger wrote:

This doesn't make any sense though, unless you presume that no one in the game world has cast those spells before. Because presumably someone in the Church hierarchy has cast Commune at some time in the past and wrote about their experience. It's in the holy book somewhere. Chapter 3, I think.

I have the same issue with the Speak With Dead spell. If the afterlife is really a lifeless void without pain or pleasure, then presumably this would be common knowledge. It's a 3rd level spell, hardly High Magic. It would only take one guy who could cast the spell a few times (as often as necessary to demonstrate) to show people "This is how it is."

If you cast Commune and Speak with Dead, by the book with the flavor bits unchanged, you will get conflicting answers about what the afterlife is. The game does not provide a consistent cosmology. This was intentional.

I like the idea of the real-world uncertainty about religion for my campaign, even in a world with Cleric magic.

Of course a Referee is free (and encouraged) to change the flavor and description for an individual campaign.

Hey Irda this has been a good discussion, it's helped me formalize my thinking, and you've hit it on the head with this point.  Thanks!

Irda Ranger wrote:

The reason we have a thousand religions on Earth is because you never get any definitive answers, just prophets who say stuff but cannot be confirmed. Spells like Commune or Speak With Dead need to either confirm the existence of each God's existence, or be non-committal either way. Because the truth will out, if truth be revealed.

I couldn't agree more.  Commune and Speak with the Dead should give answers, but as interpreted through the lense of human experience, its possible the actual truth gets occluded and the objective truth remains elusive.

For instance - one approach could be - when the exalted being(s) taught the first holy men how to unlock their 'clerical powers', said holy men went off and started stories about sky gods able to throw bolts of lightning; they started a cult; over time these myths evolved separately to become Zeus, Odin, Wotan, Marduk... separate regional religions evolved, with antagonistic traditions.  But somewhere beneath all the folklore and crap that humans made up, were common elements that pointed towards a unified origin.  (And the exalted being here certainly doesn't need to be a god...)

Why couldn't speak with dead be the same; the dead person had a clear idea in mind what the bad place or good place would be like after they died, and when awoken from the sleep of the dead, their description is part self-fulfilling prophecy, reinforcing the folklore. Folks that have communed with a higher being fill in the dots based on their own cultural biases.  (Kind of like how medieval art depicts biblical events with medieval looking people wearing medieval clothes...)

The DM would never tell the players one way or the other that 'god' was an ancient alien or the afterlife is the dead person's own wish fulfillment; the difference is that at the start of the campaign, the DM says, here is how stories say the cosmology works, or this is how people believe the cosmology works, instead of saying this is how the cosmology actually works.  It's a really simple switch to flip, with profound implications.  (And the DM doesn't have to say up front, that believers are all deluded schizophrenics...)

Okay - this is a funny position to defend - since plenty of campaigns I've run have had 'real' deities and religions, deities that intervene and zip around like costumed super hero meddlers.  Looking at you, Forgotten Realms!  But keeping it vague and ambiguous whether the gods and religions of the world are real is truer to the tropes of Lovecraft and weird fiction.

Last edited by Beedo (2011-01-05 18:27:34)

Beedo wrote:

Snip

That was damn good.