Topic: A Stranger Storm -- Father Naylor's methods

I'll be running the starting adventure found in the Referee's book for a new group.

I love the chaos promised by the adventure, but have one question.

The adventure suggests Father Naylor has a method of determining if someone is a changing. But, if I'm not mistaken, the text never says what that method is. (I suspect the method is some sort of torture, from Naylor's dialogue, but it is not clear.)

Am I missing something? Does Naylor have a method of determining who is a changeling? Does it work? What is it? How have people played this?

Thanks!

Re: A Stranger Storm -- Father Naylor's methods

I just assumed it was detect evil?

(This was our first LotFP adventure, so it was a bit of an "ah ha" for my players that you could detect chaotic/magical beings by casting detect evil on them.  Also, if nobody is a cleric, then Father Naylor could cast his own detect evil and say, "Yup, that feller there is a changeling...")

Crunk Posby wrote:

(This was our first LotFP adventure, so it was a bit of an "ah ha" for my players that you could detect chaotic/magical beings by casting detect evil on them.  Also, if nobody is a cleric, then Father Naylor could cast his own detect evil and say, "Yup, that feller there is a changeling...")

Certainly if the group has a Cleric, they can pull this off.

But Father Naylor is specifically described as being a "priest" but not a "cleric." Moreover, his method involves implements and doing harm to the subject's physical appearance, per his dialogue when he discusses the technique.

Ed Dove wrote:
CK! wrote:

...his method involves implements and doing harm to the subject's physical appearance, per his dialogue when he discusses the technique.

I'm tellin' ya...

The Thing (6/10) Movie CLIP - Tainted Blood Sample (1982) HD

Hi Ed,

I'm familiar with both the movie and the scene, having seen it many times.

As far as I know, however, the physiology of the Changeling is distinctly different from The Thing, yes? Each Changeling, as described in the book, is a complete replica of the person it replicate, identical in every way but for the gem in its heart. That is, if I'm not mistaken (and I might be!) if one makes the Changeling bleed what is revealed is... blood. Simple, plain, blood, identical in type and health as that of the host body.

This is different than The Thing, I think, since each pieces of The Thing, as it divides, is a self-contained sentient being.

If I'm missing something, let me know.

Ed, thanks for all that!

Also, thanks for pointing me toward the Blade Runner reference. I didn't pick up on that!

I wasn't convinced convinced the blood would act on its own. But from the quote you pulled, I noticed the changeling doesn't find non-biological recreation distantly, but anything non-flesh -- which would include blood.

You've given me some things to think upon. Thanks!

Wow, well played!

I recently used this as an intro to LotFP for myself and a couple players. The implication with the priest was that he would torture them and it wouldn't really work. Although the description of the changelings makes me think they'd go for being him. Imagine all the trouble you could stir up that way. I haven't gone that route, at least not yet.

I later had a session where only one player could make it, a devout witch-hunting cleric. Ran that character through a very questionable witch hunt in a small village where it seemed like the accused was pretty likely to be innocent. Was sort of tempting the cleric to try the "torture them all and let your deity sort them out later" approach but the player decided not to go quite that far. Started running Better Than Any Man a couple adventures after and decided the accused and her kid sister could be among the people seeking help from the Karlstadt witches. Specifically she could pick up first level magic-user by taking the offered classes. And other PCs have met her by now. Should be fun watching them tie themselves in knots over what to do with her.

Father Naylor has a method of determining if someone is a changing (be carefull Naylor is not a cleric)... The method is Hermann Kampff and Franz Voight witchfinder's method. Torture. And this method doesn't work.

We have played yesterday "A stranger storm" the scenario which is in the "Guide de l'Arbitre" in the french edition. The atmosphere is strong, the scenario well twisted. the players are directly puched into the special atmosphere of the game. It is rough, strange and surprising adventure. I think it's a good start.
We played in England, December 1619 to prepare "No Salvation For the Witches". Four characters are involved, three of them survive (and they were particularly ingenious).

Emeric wrote:

We have played yesterday "A stranger storm" the scenario which is in the "Guide de l'Arbitre" in the french edition. The atmosphere is strong, the scenario well twisted. the players are directly puched into the special atmosphere of the game. It is rough, strange and surprising adventure. I think it's a good start.
We played in England, December 1619 to prepare "No Salvation For the Witches". Four characters are involved, three of them survive (and they were particularly ingenious).

Nice! A Stranger Storm is such a underrated adventure and a personal favorite of mine!

Royal Decree by the King