Topic: new version of Death Frost Doom

I have the new version and will be running it this coming Sunday. Any hints or advice from those who have run this scenario?

Re: new version of Death Frost Doom

The NPCs awaiting deeper in the dungeon are what made this new version so much better than the already great original. Definitely get to know them and the way they act. Also think about how they might react to each other, since things can get a bit complicated depending on the order in which the players encounter them.

On the other hand, the players might never get that far. That's okay, too. Plenty of cool things for them to find elsewhere in the dungeon. I had a lot of fun with the glass globes, in particular.

Oh, I also found that the locked door in the great chapel was surprisingly challenging for the players to figure out. That's what the hanging skulls are for, a bit of a push by entities that definitely know about the pit deeper within will speed the players along whether they like it or not.

Last edited by Sword Lake (2015-08-07 18:47:39)

Sword Lake wrote:

Oh, I also found that the locked door in the great chapel was surprisingly challenging for the players to figure out. That's what the hanging skulls are for, a bit of a push by entities that definitely know about the pit deeper within will speed the players along whether they like it or not.

Totally. Took my group forever as well. I thought it was so obvious. Apparantly I was wrong. ^^

I was watching a little bit of Evil Dead II on TV this morning and I finally realized that the cabin in this adventure is inspired by the movie. I should have seen that sooner.

When I ran this the group seemed quite interested in the cabin. They poked around it a lot but spent comparatively little time dealing with the locked door in the chapel. It gave me some ideas on how to handle puzzles in the future (mainly descriptive tricks). But this one was a bust with this group.

I don't know that there's any big take-away from that though, this group basically handled every adventure as an excuse to go in, grab whatever wasn't nailed down and run away before getting so much as a quarter of the way through. After a few runs like this, including Death Frost Doom, I decided there was a big disconnect I wasn't able to bridge and I've been taking a break from running this game for awhile.