Topic: Mechanics: Shield and Armor

Hello there!

I'm wondering: If I use a shield and I get attacked... does my opponent have to roll a die for both my shield and then for my armor (in case he gets past the shield)?

Can I use the shield only if I go in defensive or parry stance or always use it to block (unless Im surprised or something like that)?

Re: Mechanics: Shield and Armor

A shield just adds a modifier to armor class (+1 in melee, +2 vs missiles), so you add that to whatever your armor class is, and enemy attacks are rolled against the total.

The basic rule for when you can use a shield is pretty much any time you are not surprised or in some way hindered from using it (maybe an enemy pikeman just lodged his pike into your shield and you can't swing it around to block the arrows coming from the other side).

If you want to get REALLY fussy and unreasonably 'realistic', you could say stuff like an attack coming from the right hand side (if your shield is in your left hand) ignores your shield because you just can't get it around fast enough, you could. But I don't think you should.

Re: Mechanics: Shield and Armor

Okay you know what. The mix of the table where the shield is listed being kind of confusing plus English not being my primary language caused a ton of confusion. Im not alone, my mates couldnt figure it out either.

Until someone finally told us, looking at the table, there is no leather, chain and plate shields, just shields and that everything that is listed beneath the shield entry is meant for horse armour.

That explains a lot. Sorry for the unnecessary question. ^^

Last edited by cryion (2015-02-23 21:04:50)