Topic: Demi-humans in the Americas

Forgive me if this possibility has been mentioned in depth elsewhere, but I thought I might make note of it given recent posts on the reconciliation of traditional fantasy races with a quasi-historical campaign setting.

Fantasy versions of North and South America have been rendered before in rpgs, providing the GM with a narrow, but intriguing, range of possibilities to use as a springboard or toolkit for his or her LotFP campaign.  Atlas Games' Northern Crown setting is an out-and-out magical, alternate reality 17th century take on North America (the titular Northern Crown being the alternate name for the continent, whereas South America is called the Southern Cross: very evocative, I thought).  Even more outre, the Untamed Lands of Gunmetal Games' Totems of the Dead present a swords-and-sorcery North America featuring tribal confederacies bedeviled by Atlantean and Scadian raiders, Ruskan and Shenese settlers, and the human-sacrificing Maztlani empire of the interior.  Of only parenthetical importance to the game, and therefore of greater significance in relation to LotFP, the North and South America of the Warhammer rpg and miniatures game are dominated by dark elves and lizardmen, respectively, in sharp contrast to the human stronghold of the Old World (where the vast majority of both games take place).

While all three of the above examples are interesting in their own ways, only the latter one deals directly with the transplantation or re-peopling of an earth-analogue continent with fantasy races.  As seen below, the substitution of a fantasy race population for an extant, or prior, human one is decidedly toward the grosser end of the adaptation scale.  Here, then, are some possibilities ranging the most extreme to the subtlest.

Extreme
Elves, dwarves and halflings inhabit the Americas with little or no changes to their respective cultures.  Graceful elven swan-barges ply the Mississippi, trailing the languid, decadent notes of thousand-year old composures in their wakes; dwarven deepholds core the Alleghenies for rich, dark, veins of coal and iron; and plump, self-satisfied halflings raise, toast, and send aloft tun after tun of sweet Virginia tobacco while debating the relative merits of the Staunton and Shenandoah rivers for smallmouth bass.  Humans never crossed the Bering land bridge.  Perhaps the elves, dwarves, and halflings are indigenous to the land, or perhaps fled before the baleful eye of the One God, who stayed His hand long enough for them to flee the glades and hills of Europa for a New World.

Less Extreme
Elves, dwarves, and halflings are still the sole inhabitants of North America, but they are placeholders for the Native American cultures of the post-Columbian aftermath.  Decimated by disease, the elven moundbuilders have cast down the wooden pylons and the copper skull-and-vulture effigies of the Old Gods, spitefully dooming their former patrons to blood-starve for failing to protect their charges.  The dwarves gather, howling rage from the door of the North Lodge, howling despair from the door of the East Lodge, howling envy from the door of the South Lodge, howling grief from the door of the West Lodge; they no longer recognize their world and war will stand in place of understanding.  One halfling flits from the trees in the gloaming to claim an iron tool from the Newcomers and is hung from a tree; one hundred Newcomers perish that winter, their cattle hamstrung, their well poisoned, their skiff holed.

Less Subtle
Elves, dwarves, and halflings share North America with the native peoples we know from history.  For various reasons, their presence has made little impact on native culture, which, in turn, has made little impact on theirs save for prematurely affording them access to certain New World novelties like tobacco, potatoes, and syphilis.  Perhaps they fled the Old World (as above) and subsisted in isolated enclaves until the advent of the Newcomers.  Perhaps, much like the Huron abortively attempted to do with French traders, they might jockey for the position of middle man, sending native allies to scour the interior for furs to trade for European luxuries, little aware of the impending covetous wrath of the nascent Iroquoian Empire.

Subtle
Elves, dwarves, and halflings exist in such small numbers, and are so adept at hiding their presence, that native peoples consider them to be spirits or people of a bygone age.  Halflings in this variation are the legendary "little people" or Mikumwess of Passamaquoddy lore.  Elves might be the Bakok of the Chippewa; lithe, pale, deadly nightstalkers who nonetheless possess the chivalry to only kill warriors.  The squat and incredibly strong Jogah of the Mohawk, living in their caves and moving great masses of stone about the countryside, are perhaps misunderstood colonies of dwarves.  This possibility renders the prospect of contact with Newcomers less likely as the various races seem intent on leaving a light footprint; unless they greet European explorers with enthusiastic relief, their presence in North America being an unlooked for consequence of an ancient catastrophe, shipwrecking them on savage shores.

The above are only a few possibilities, each with a multitude of variations within themselves. In the end, a great deal will depend on the scope of a GM's campaign as it will render the significance of any of the above critical (if colonizing the Weird New World is in the offing) or merely of interest as player character backstory (to justify the exile of your disgraced and dissipated elven courtier, the Viscount of Susquehanna).

Last edited by Arsulon (2015-02-14 01:22:20)

Re: Demi-humans in the Americas

I'm running a colonial american type fantasy campaign. I don't like halflings so they are out, elves are more like fairies, old, mostly gone, mysterious, and for some reason I decided Dwarves are like Nords who settled on the northern Atlantic coast and stuck around.

I like your subtle version.

To be perfectly honest, I've always been suspicious of this approach.  I think it sells the natives of the Americas short, "othering" them to a sometimes extreme degree.  Their cultures are as rich, ancient, decadent, and noble as anything in the "Old" World, and it has just always struck me as a kind of laziness to replace them with stock demihumans of a more or less unified culture.

Nothing personal towards you, of course.  Just my general  impression of this idea in principle.

I say, if someone wants to run a LotFP game (or any fantasy game) set in the "real" world, the best thing to do is treat demihumans as monsters and fit them into their indigenous mythological roles as much as possible, leaving all the human cultures intact.  Thus, I'd find your "Subtle" option to be the only one I'd be interested playing in.

Not incidentally, I've been giving some thought to using 16th century, post-conquest Mexico as a LotFP setting in its own right.  The  period between the fall of Tenochtitlan in 1521 and the fall of Cuzco (Peru) in 1532 was one full of adventure, strife, and confrontation with (from Spanish Catholic POV anyway) monstrous weird cults.  With just a little bit of tweaking, it would make an excellent fantasy setting on its own terms, without the need to shoe-horn in any demihumans.

All of that said, thanks for  pointing me at Totems Of The Dead.  That looks like an awesome setting.

Last edited by King Truffle IV (2015-02-15 06:40:53)

"The universe is indeed humorous,  but the joke is on mankind."  -- H.P. Lovecraft.

Visit my blog at http://greatandsmallrpg.blogspot.com/ !

King Truffle IV wrote:

To be perfectly honest, I've always been suspicious of this approach.  I think it sells the natives of the Americas short, "othering" them to a sometimes extreme degree.  Their cultures are as rich, ancient, decadent, and noble as anything in the "Old" World, and it has just always struck me as a kind of laziness to replace them with stock demihumans of a more or less unified culture.

Nothing personal towards you, of course.  Just my general  impression of this idea in principle.

I agree wholeheartedly. Instead of the rich cultures of America, you get "swan barges". Bad trade

Also, I might incur the label of being a "SJW" by saying this, but quite literally de-humanizing historical cultures is highly offensive to my tastes... It's like, I don't know, an alternative history setting where the nazis are set to exterminate hobbits and elves. Highly tasteless.

Madinkbeard:
Interpreting the dwarven presence in North America along the lines of the failed Norse colonies strikes me as a very natural (given the former are a folkloric element of the latter) yet innovative choice; that said, I suspect some of this forum's members might accuse you of cultural insensitivity towards the Norse by doing so.  Have you positioned them in Newfoundland or further south?  Have they followed the Viking mistake of antagonizing the Inuit, or are they content to farm, fish, and delve?  Consider Clint Krause's Roanoke and Don't Walk in Winter Wood for rpg inspiration along the lines of supernatural and psychological colonial horror.

KT4:
Following up your concern over the rpg marginalization of native peoples by expressing a desire to set your fantasy campign during the genocidal horror of La Conquista put me in danger of laughing my mocha java out my nasal cavity.  Well done.  With regards to your idea, however, in addition to Totems of the Dead, have a look at the Aztec Empire supplement for Paradigm Concepts Witch Hunter: The Invisible World.  It details an alternate 17th century in which the Spanish are in imminent danger of being pushed into sea by an implacable, blood-magic-weilding Aztec nation.

Arsulon wrote:

Madinkbeard:
KT4:
Following up your concern over the rpg marginalization of native peoples by expressing a desire to set your fantasy campign during the genocidal horror of La Conquista put me in danger of laughing my mocha java out my nasal cavity.  Well done.  With regards to your idea, however, in addition to Totems of the Dead, have a look at the Aztec Empire supplement for Paradigm Concepts Witch Hunter: The Invisible World.  It details an alternate 17th century in which the Spanish are in imminent danger of being pushed into sea by an implacable, blood-magic-weilding Aztec nation.

Well, the period in question is one in which the natives hadn't been fully marginalized yet, and could easily have turned the tide, a few circumstances being right.  The Spanish overthrew and displaced the Aztecs with the help of thousands of native Mexicans; the Aztecs were imperial oppressors, and not terribly popular, so the locals took the arrival of 500 Spaniards as an opportunity.

It would be possible to run a campaign from the native POV without marginalizing them at all, provided the players and GM were willing to do a bit of research.  Like I said, the region was culturally diverse (and adapting some material from the New Fire rpg would make the transition easier -- http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/1 … f-Dreams).

And anyway, running the campaign from the Spanish POV of perceiving local religion as weird monstrous blood cults would be much more historically accurate, and promote "real-world" verisimilitude much better, than replacing the Aztecs with, say, orcs.

I think humans of every culture are both noble and monstrous enough on our own terms to not need any demihuman plug-ins.

"The universe is indeed humorous,  but the joke is on mankind."  -- H.P. Lovecraft.

I think the approach taken by Colonial Gothic is also a good model here: human cultures are kept intact, not all Indians are the same, not all the dread evils come from the Old World, and there are both Old and New World "demihumans" presented as monsters rather than PC options.