Topic: The game with no name

Ok, my curiosity is piqued.   LOTFPs facebook page shared a review of "an adventure"  http://save.vs.totalpartykill.ca/review/an-adventure/

While I understand the first rule of fight club is don't talk about fight club, as a game master I'm really interested in checking this adventure out.  As I can't afford to buy one of everything at noble knight, can anyone point to a title to buy?

Re: The game with no name

If you can't have everything, I wouldn't recommend "Adventure 10" as one of your slots of purchases.  It isn't an adventure, just a series of horrible encounters for your players.  It's certainly fun (and I'm happy I have it) but you'll get more mileage out of other stuff.

The God That Crawls
Better Than Any Man (free PDF - the print is probably too expensive now, though...)
The Monolith Beyond Time and Space

And more stuff coming down the pike (Death Frost Doom reprint, as well) if you want to get something new...

(That said, if you plan on owning everything someday - you may want to get it now before it's gone forever - I doubt it will ever get reprinted and I don't think it will ever be a PDF...)

If you haven't checked it out, read up on Carcosa as well - it's a marvelous product in its own right, and especially (or perhaps primarily) fun if you and your players are into the style and setting.

Blogging about OSR at Deep Delving

I wrote that review. I also don't recommend Adventure #10. It's "interesting", but there are far better modules from LotFP. My favourites are: Carcosa, Qelong, and the God that Crawls.

I always recommend Hammers of the God. That module is what got the initial LotFP hooks into me and remains my favorite module to date.

I became a LotFP fan after I ran (twice) Death Frost Doom. Great atmosphere and writing. I'd like to point out that I was not very fond of the "dungeon crawl" genre but Death Frost Doom changed my mind on the subject.

Thanks for the advice.  I'm waiting with bated breath for the GM book and the adventures with it.

Has anybody run Adventure 10 all the way through?  I'm running it as is, and my players just had to deal with the section where they lose their most valuable item.  They were frustrated b/c all the smart thinking on their part to protect this item didn't mean anything, it was just taken.  They went through Hell to get it back (including two deaths, losing all their hirelings and NPC friends, and all of their other valuables) and the very next trigger makes it worthless.  I'm almost afraid to run it b/c of the backlash I know I'll get!  Do I go for it?  Or do I back off here?

(My players' biggest complaint is that it's all bad and there's nothing good to come out of it.  They contend that there should be at least some benefit or even "neutral" outcome here and there...although they do appreciate the terribleness of the events that happen for story purposes...)