Topic: Splash, Splatter - Just on 1?

We had some characters tossing around flaming oil flasks last night. We use Grindhouse, but just got our shiny new books. According to what we've read, it looks like flaming oil hits only a single person. There isn't any splash or splatter, just a potential to catch stuff on fire.

Is it supposed to be this way?

Re: Splash, Splatter - Just on 1?

Wow, over 197 views and no replies. No splashy in your games?

Nope, no splash damage from a regular vial of holy water/flask of oil in my game. If you start throwing around buckets of holy water on the other hand...

If you think about it, try to hit two people with one water balloon.

hunggokyan wrote:

If you think about it, try to hit two people with one water balloon.

You don't actually have to hit two people with one water balloon to achieve a splash. If you are closely adjacent to someone being nailed by a water balloon, you can get splashed. But we aren't talking about water balloons here.

Lynn wrote:

But we aren't talking about water balloons here.

It is, however, almost the exact same effect. Just without the being on fire part. In fact, for holy water, it IS exactly the same thing as a water balloon. Unless you've got two targets that are at "hug range" to each other, getting an EFFECTIVE hit on both people simultaneously is going to be rather unlikely (I'd consider it if the throw attack was a natural 20, perhaps, but then I would make it two fully affected targets, and no other splash effect).

For burning oil flasks and/or alchemist's fire type splash weapons, I always felt the Pathfinder version of alchemist's fire pretty accurately covered it:

"A direct hit deals 1d6 points of fire damage. Every creature within 5 feet of the point where the flask hits takes 1 point of fire damage from the splash. On the round following a direct hit, the target takes an additional 1d6 points of damage."

There's a little more rules to it, about how to extinguish the flames before taking the second 1d6, etc, but those are less relevant to LotFP.

Yuritau wrote:
Lynn wrote:

But we aren't talking about water balloons here.

It is, however, almost the exact same effect. Just without the being on fire part. In fact, for holy water, it IS exactly the same thing as a water balloon.

Holy water I imagine being in smaller quantity if it fits in a vial it would be hard to hit more than one, even adjacent.

Maybe your water balloons were small. Many things were bigger back in my time of slinging (and "launching"), like the bottoms of pants, belt buckles and shirt collars. Side splash could be significant if you were adjacent to the target.

The size of the projectile comes down to how far you want to throw it, really. Liquids (especially water) are heavy and awkward. Even as a moderately muscled adult-like man I would be proud to get more than ~15' of distance on a full sized water balloon.

But back to the topic of flask-sized stuff.. when I read "flask of oil" I picture something in the range of 500ml to 1 liter. That, to me, is a smaller size of water balloon, something you could reasonably throw with one hand and still hit the 30' range suggested in the book.