Topic: hey, I have a few questions

Been looking over LotFP the last two days, and I definitely like the feeling it appears to be evoking, but  I'm still really unsure about the quality of this product.

For instance, I say I picture someone took of the map that comes with it, and it looked like a bunch of brown and blue hexes of differing shades with what looked like nothing inside of them.  Does the map contain anything?

Does the final release product contain any updates of the free download files?  There definitely appears to be a lot of vagueness on quite a few things in it:  for instance, it says Elves are both Fighters and Magic-Users, but it only talks about its Magic-User abilities in its class description.  Also, what kind of limitations of equipment are there?

One question I suppose is more of a suggestion on design:  I notice that Fighters start off with a +2 attack bonus while everyone else gets +1, and unarmored opponents have an AC of 12.  Why not set the base AC to 11 and give Fighters +1, while everyone else gets no bonus?  Or does that have to do with 0 lvl characters getting no bonus, and 1st level characters of any class are suppose to be better fighters than?

Re: hey, I have a few questions

islan wrote:

For instance, I say I picture someone took of the map that comes with it, and it looked like a bunch of brown and blue hexes of differing shades with what looked like nothing inside of them.  Does the map contain anything?

I'm assuming the map in question is the map included with Weird New World. Yes, there are numbers on the map. And terrain features. The numbers are in white, IIRC. So that might be why it's hard to see them from a photo.

islan wrote:

Does the final release product contain any updates of the free download files?  There definitely appears to be a lot of vagueness on quite a few things in it:  for instance, it says Elves are both Fighters and Magic-Users, but it only talks about its Magic-User abilities in its class description.  Also, what kind of limitations of equipment are there?

No updates of the kind mentioned. Elves are fightery because they get additional bonuses for Parrying and can Press (charge) and fight defensively. They don't get any other real bonuses in the Fighter end of things besides being able to cast spells while somewhat encumbered.

I'm unaware of any equipment limitations. I believe the game has no problems with Wizards using swords. But a wizard that is more than lightly encumbered can't cast spells.

islan wrote:

One question I suppose is more of a suggestion on design:  I notice that Fighters start off with a +2 attack bonus while everyone else gets +1, and unarmored opponents have an AC of 12.  Why not set the base AC to 11 and give Fighters +1, while everyone else gets no bonus?  Or does that have to do with 0 lvl characters getting no bonus, and 1st level characters of any class are suppose to be better fighters than?

Because that would put the other classes on the same level as NPCs in combat? NPCs really do get no bonus at all to hit. So it's nice that the PCs are at least 5% more competent at fighting than the average joe.

Re: hey, I have a few questions

islan wrote:

Or does that have to do with 0 lvl characters getting no bonus, and 1st level characters of any class are suppose to be better fighters than?

The other questions were already answered, but I just want to confirm that this is the correct explanation.