Topic: LotFP Weird Fantasy Role-Playing Errata

It's that time... it's printed and finalized so all sorts of things which were invisible to me when creating the thing - even though several people looked at it before going to print - are going to come to light.

Report them in this thread and this first post will be the combined list of things that didn't come out quite right.

Rules Book

Page 6: The Experience Points needed for Level 16+ Fighters should be "+128,000/lvl."

Page 22 - 23: A character earns 1 XP for every eligible gp recovered during an adventure.

Back Cover: Plate Mail AC should be 18, not 17.

PDF Version Only: Is missing the Level 1 Halfling saving throw numbers. They should be 10, 8, 13, 9, 12.

Re: LotFP Weird Fantasy Role-Playing Errata

Here's a possible one for the character sheet. All characters begin the game with '1 in 6' for all common activities so can the character sheet include that single dot? The surprise chance die has its dots filled in, common activities would be a nice touch.

It's not the years, it's the mileage.

Tutorial
P44 Column 2
James: ... The one attacking Kuris (...
Should be Kurtis (probably, unless James got it wrong).

Tower of the Stargazer
P13 A23
"The secret door on the south wall..."
Not on map.

P10 A19
Two bins are described but there are three on the map. I guess you just used a generic bin icon on the map but it seems strange.

Looks to me like the Magic User and Elf spell progression should be 5/4/4/3/2/2 at level 12 instead of 5/4/4/3/3/2. It doesn't follow the pattern for the rest of the levels.

allgood wrote:

Tower of the Stargazer
P13 A23
"The secret door on the south wall..."
Not on map.

Pssst!  That's because its a secret! wink

Tenkar's Tavern
Step up to the Bar and Share Your Thoughts with the Tavern Keeper

On page fifty of the free pdf of the rulebook (page fifty-one of the actual pdf, including the cover), you have a block of text concerning oversized items which is split and wedged between the two tables on that page. From context, it looks like this text (beginning "Oversized items include great and other two-handed weapons") should be on page forty-nine.

Added a note about XP and gps... can't believe me and four other people miss that very important bit of info. It's mentioned elsewhere in an example but isn't explicitly stated in the rule talking about XP.

Don't know if this is intentional or an error, but on p. 21 of the free rules PDF, under Determine Hit Points, it reads:

A character’s beginning hit points must be better than average. For example, if a Cleric with a 14 Constitution rolls a two for starting hit points and adds one for the Constitution modifier, the total result would be three hit points. Since this is below average (the average of a d6 roll is 3.5), the character’s hit points are then increased to four. Fighters, if their combined roll and Constitution modifier is less than eight, begin with eight hit points.

Are first-level fighters meant to start with a minimum of 8/d8 hp, or just >4.5/d8?

anthau wrote:

Don't know if this is intentional or an error, but on p. 21 of the free rules PDF, under Determine Hit Points, it reads:

A character’s beginning hit points must be better than average. For example, if a Cleric with a 14 Constitution rolls a two for starting hit points and adds one for the Constitution modifier, the total result would be three hit points. Since this is below average (the average of a d6 roll is 3.5), the character’s hit points are then increased to four. Fighters, if their combined roll and Constitution modifier is less than eight, begin with eight hit points.

Are first-level fighters meant to start with a minimum of 8/d8 hp, or just >4.5/d8?

Fighters start with a minimum of 8 (but if their initial roll + CON modifier is more than 8, they keep that instead).

Here's a small one - in the equipment lists, the backpack should be italicised - as it is a non-encumbering item.

Cheers

It's not the years, it's the mileage.

What is the spell, 'Chaos?'
Its text is identical to the spell 'Confusion'.

eldersprig wrote:

What is the spell, 'Chaos?'
Its text is identical to the spell 'Confusion'.

It's much closer than I'd intended it to be, but as written Confusion affects 3d6 creatures in a 30' radius, and Chaos affects all creatures in a 40' square area.

Here goes...

Referee Book

P2 C1 "Running the actual game sessions in a disinterested and impartial manner."
Disinterested seems like the wrong word. Do you actually want the Referee to NOT be interested in the game they are running?

P3 C2 Rule One
"...is for the purpose establishing..."
"...is for the purpose of establishing..."

P5 C1
"The main thing that separates a Weird Tale from a conventional horror story is the forces completely out of the control of those who encounter them."
This is really awkward because you use "thing" (singular), followed by "forces" (plural). Maybe try something like this:
"The main thing that separates a Weird Tale from a conventional horror story is the idea of forces completely out of the control of those who encounter them."

P7 C1 The Twist
"There is the initial presentation of the adventure to the players and from their characters' perspective."
Do you really need the "and"? Perhaps:
"There is the initial presentation of the adventure to the players from their characters' perspective."
"There is the initial presentation of the adventure to the players, given from their characters' perspective."

P8 C2 Exploration
"...these challenges and dangers are unique depending on both the type of environments being traversed and specific areas as well."
Another awkward sentence. Maybe:
"...these challenges and dangers are unique depending on both the type of environments being traversed as well as those unique to the specific area."

P9 C1 The Sandbox
"...the Referee advanced timelines..."
"...the Referee advances timelines..."

P13 C2 Rewards
Superscript causes the spacing of lines to be off. 1st level and 4th level.

P19 C1 Time
"...aren't there to simply be a pain the ass,..."
"...aren't there to simply be a pain in the ass,..."

P26 C2 Cosmology and the Gods
"This different sources have different and ..."
"These different sources have different and ..."

Superscript causes the spacing of lines to be off. 15th.

P29 C2 Interaction of Different Cultures
"People fear things different from them, and in worlds..."
"People fear things different from themselves, and in worlds..."

"Merchant and ruling and scholar classes will have..."
"Merchant, ruling and scholar classes will have..."

P31 C1 Breaking the Rules
"...the more potential there is there that players will find..."
"...the more potential there is that players will find..."

P32 C1 Monsters
"...than any of the twenty monsters packing in a forty-room dungeon would be."
"...than any of the twenty monsters packed into a forty room dungeon would be."

C2 Movement
"...and thinking "half/twice/as as fast as a man"
"...and thinking "half as/twice as/as fast as a man"
Perhaps:
"...and thinking "half, twice or as fast as a man"

P34 C1 Humanoids
Superscript causes the spacing of lines to be off. 19th and early 20th.

P36 C2 Magic Items, Point 5: Certain Conditions
Using "certain conditions" to describe "certain conditions" is redundant.
"Perhaps a certain action needs to be taken before the item works (a sacrifice?), certain time periods, etc."
Maybe rewrite the whole sentence.

P41 C2 Replacement Characters
For the three points, the first and third don't have full stops but the second does. Make a decision.

P42 C1 Excellence in Gaming
"...the advice in this book may hinder your ability produce the best game possible."
"...the advice in this book may hinder your ability to produce the best game possible."

Ask Yourself Why
"Strange ideas, perhaps inspired by a movie or odd item in the news, demands to be included in the game."
"Strange ideas, perhaps inspired by a movie or odd item in the news, demand to be included in the game."

..."which helps explain why they can't build anymore."
Either:
..."which helps explain why the people can't build them anymore."
or:
..."which helps explain why they can't build any more."

P44 Compatability Issues
Up until this point you have been talking to the Referee (e.g. You do this...). I think this may be the first time you say "he" when talking about the Referee. ie you change from second to third person. Perhaps it should be:
"All of these games are similar enough to be cross-compatible, but each on has its own quirks and small differences that can trip you up if you are not paying attention."
or:
"All of these games are similar enough to be cross-compatible, but each on has its own quirks and small differences that can trip a Referee up if you are not paying attention."

P48 Fight On! Magazine (I realise you probably got this from the publisher.)
"...that just packs infectious enthusiasm for our form of gaming."
"...that just packs itself with infectious enthusiasm for our form of gaming."
or
"...that is just packed with infectious enthusiasm for our form of gaming."

While the fact that some of these typos made it through several editing passes makes me wince, thank you for the attention to detail! I'm certainly noting all these down for the next printing...

Good. I am not an editor, you should think of these as suggestions! I think what you are doing is great and I just want to help. Since I want to read through it all thoroughly I just have a notebook next to me as I read. It helps me pay attention. I don't think you do, but please don't think of this as criticism or negativity. I think you want to put out a great product and I want to help in what way I can. That basically means: being picky with spelling and buying your products!

All the best,

John.

Something I noticed the other day...

On page 19 of the Rules pdf, the Halfling has no Saving Throws listed for level one.

The top line shows level Zero and the line after that shows Level "2-3".

I believe it should say "1-3".

Not sure if the printed book has this issue. I didn't check.

The printed version is correct.

I haven't seen anyone else mention this on the forum, so here goes.

In my Rules book (from the Boxed WFRP) pages 13-14 and 35-36 have been duplicated. They're the same sheet so it would look like that an extra sheet has slipped in. Is this something present in every copy of the Rules booklet or did I get some weird upside-down-airplane misprint? And more importantly does this mean I'm missing some other page? The page numbering seems to be consistent and ends at 48.

Since a staff requires both hands, shouldn't it be bold-italic?

Frank Mitchell
"The law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread." -- Anatole France

Found a math error on page 39 of the PDF (under excavations).  You state that a character with proper tools can excavate five cubic feet of earth per hour.  I think you may have meant 125 cubic feet (length x width x depth is the correct formula for volume).  Five cubic feet is a hole five feet long x one foot wide x one foot deep.  125 cubic feet would be a hole five feet long x five feet wide x five feet deep.

That brings up an interesting tidbit.  125 cubic feet is about the size of a rough grave (six feet x three feet x six feet), so burying the dead in a respectable grave (or hiding bodies) wouldn't take as much time as you'd think for a decently-sized adventuring party.