Topic: Ref Book Crowdfunding Rewards and Goals - Round Two!

I'm working on some intermediate levels between $35 and $150, trying to find the artist for the alternate cover version, and pricing the slipcase mentioned in the Retail level description.

$10 PDF
REF BOOK PDF COUPON
(+ PDF coupons for any stretch goal adventures reached)

$35 Referee Book
REF COUPON CODE
(+ Coupon codes covering any stretch goal adventures reached)

$150 Official Sponsor
REF COUPON CODE
ALTERNATE COVER VERSION
SPONSOR MENTION
LotFP SUPER DICE SET
EXCLUSIVE PRINT ADVENTURE

$250 Speculator Sponsor
REF COUPON CODE
ALTERNATE COVER VERSION- 2 copies!
SPONSOR MENTION
LotFP SUPER DICE SET- 2 sets!
EXCLUSIVE PRINT ADVENTURE- 2 copies!

$350 Retailer Reward Level!
RETAIL PACK (20 Ref books, and see below for substitution rates).
Add $35 for every additional 2 Ref books you want.

Explanation of rewards:

REF BOOK PDF COUPON
You will get the Ref Book PDF, and PDFs for any stretch-goal adventures. The PDFs of the current versions will be sent days after the campaign ends, and when the new versions are ready those PDFs will be updated and you can download then at your leisure.

(Those that have previously bought the Grindhouse Edition will get their Ref Book PDF updated anyway.)

REF COUPON CODE
You will get a coupon code for the LotFP store that covers the basic cost of the Referee book. It will be a minimum of 27€/$35 but likely will be at least a bit more. But no matter the cost, the coupon will cover it. The coupon will *not* cover the shipping costs though. So you'll decide at the time how you want it shipped and if you want to add anything else to your order etc.

Backers get an exclusive version of the Ref book with two different-colored bookmark ribbons included.

The shipping costs right now for Economy class shipping for the estimated weight of the Ref book (no guarantees about that up front I'm afraid) of 500g is 5,59€ to EU addresses and 6,73€ to addresses outside of the EU, but remember the post office may increase rates at any time.

Several adventure reprints are up as stretch goals. If these stretch goals are met, your coupon code will also cover the cost of those adventures (again not counting shipping).

This reward includes the PDF coupons detailed above.

SPONSOR MENTION

I'll set a page up near the beginning of the book to list the names of all the high-level sponsors.

LotFP SUPER DICE SET

All opaque red with white numbering, with all the dice needed to both play the game and navigate all the Ref book charts:

1x d4
1x d6 (numbers)
3x d6 (pips with a Dead Sign in the 1 spot)
1x d8
1x d10 (0-9)
1x d10 (00-90)
1x d10 (000-900)
1x d12
1x d20
1x d30

Will not count against your shipping weight.

NEW ADVENTURE

You know how I always have a new mini adventure thingy (Death Love Doom, Joop van Ooms, Tales of the Scarecrow, Fuck For Satan) when I have a new major release? Well, whatever it is when the Ref book gets released, you get a copy of it. This one will be PDF-only except to fulfill these sponsorships (plus contributor and library copies of course). They will be numbered as well. Won't count against your shipping weight.

ALTERNATE COVER VERSION
Separate cover art will be done by x, and at this level you get an exclusive copy of the Ref book with this cover (also includes the bookmark ribbons and whatever other extras there will be) in addition to the standard version. Only enough to fill these orders (plus some extras to guard against lost or damaged copies, these extras may be sold later at LotFP convention appearances for no less than 10€ greater than the usual Ref book price). These copies will be hand-numbered! This copy will not count against your shipping weight.

RETAIL PACK
20 copies of the Referee book, shipping included! Don't quite need 20? Substitutions can be made as follows:
Stretch Goal adventures: 1 Ref book = 3 stretch goal adventures
Alternate Cover: 1 alternate cover Ref books = 3 standard cover Ref book
Rules & Magic books: 3 Rules & Magic books = 2 standard Ref books

STRETCH GOAL LEVELS

$4000 BASIC GOAL
The Ref book! Contributors will get an exclusive version that has two bookmark ribbons in them, plus they will be signed. The Ref book will include more tools and not just advice, including expanded sample monsters and a full creature generator, an adventure generator, a new beginner adventure (Lost Inn Space), and just tons of new fun and horror!

+$1700 MASTER INDEX ADDED
An index that covers both the Rules & Magic book and the Referee book will be added to the book.

+$500 GM MAT ADDED
An A5 card that helps keep track of light source duration and other handy bits that often go untracked during adventures. If the stretch goal is met, it will be automatically added to all physical reward levels.
(reason for change here - it's going to cost money to have someone do the graphics on the mat, and printing it will be more than $0, so it should probably have its own "space".)

+$3000 COLOR! Four full-color plates will be added to the book.

+$3500 TOWER OF THE STARGAZER will be reprinted and a voucher for its full price (not including shipping) will be included in the standard reward for all physical reward levels!

+$3500 DEATH FROST DOOM will be reprinted and a voucher for its full price (not including shipping) will be included in the standard reward for all physical reward levels!

+$3500 THE GRINDING GEAR will be reprinted and a voucher for its full price (not including shipping) will be included in the standard reward for all physical reward levels!

+$3500 HAMMERS OF THE GOD will be reprinted and a voucher for its full price (not including shipping) will be included in the standard reward for all physical reward levels!

+$2300 FULL COLOR LAYOUT!

+$3000 COLOR! Four full-color plates will be added to the book. (etc etc)

Re: Ref Book Crowdfunding Rewards and Goals - Round Two!

Sounds great to me. That Official Sponsor level seems just about right.

Blogging about OSR at Deep Delving

I like what I'm seeing here.  I like the dice and the GM mat idea.

This looks great and I can't wait for it to start!

Offer a way to buy the Rules + Magic bundled with the Referee book.

... Although, I don't know how that would work with your coupon fulfillment method.

Perhaps a way to get the dice without paying $150?

You are an evil, evil, man, James Raggi, and I say that in the nicest possible way and with my wallet already open.

There are a couple of potential rewards I'm kicking around in my head, but all have the same difficulty:

They have built-in costs of their own.

For example, if I have "one of a kind drawing by artist x on the title page of each book!" for a +$100 reward level, and the artist is charging $50 to do each one... then $60 of that is gobbled up by fees and the artist with only $40 actually going into the project, while the full $100 would be counted towards the stretch goals with traditional crowdfunding accounting.

Or a T-shirt, say I'm charging $20 and between having them done and delivered and fees only $10 "profit" is generated to fund the ref book, but all $20 is counted towards stretch goals with traditional crowdfunding accounting.

But why does that have to be?

Why can't I say "Only $x of the $y in this reward level will go towards stretch goals."

Or better yet, do add-ons instead of goal levels.

"Add $100 if you want your book personalized with a drawing by x... only $40 of that will contribute towards stretch goals though."

"This T-shirt with this design, $20! Only $10 of that towards stretch goals though!"

Either that or constantly shift the unreached stretch goal amounts.

For example, if the project has already reached say $5000, and there's a stretch goal at $6000, and ten people the next day go for T-shirts as described above, I'd move the stretch goal to $6100.

(stretch goals that are reached become locked so no after-the-fact "didn't reach it after all!" shenanigans)

It's more work-intensive on my end keeping track of the accounting that way, but it would make sure that the money being earmarked for things is more accurate and people can still get cool add-on stuff.

Additional stretch goal has been priced: Full color layout (not meaning full color art throughout...): $2300