Topic: Oh Boy... Ref Book News

Well then. I've completely goofed up the shipping costs of the 680+ crowdfunding mailouts. Specifically, all those people who got a free shipping coupon to add stuff? Just about all of those packages are over 2kg which means they have to go at 5kg parcel rates. Going to cost me 45€ ($60) a pop to mail, or separate them into two "maxi-letter" packages to combine to 35€ ($45). And a R&M hardcover + Seclusium are thicker than allowed for a "normal letter" rate, so that's extra surcharges there.

But whatever, my fault, I have to eat that, but...

I don't want to delay the upcoming crowdfund items that are already late, I want to move immediately as they are ready, but the Ref book NEEDS to get into print ASAP or none of this reaches distribution and I'm printing thousands of copies as paperweights.

So I'm going to have to go back to the crowdfunding well so as to avoid robbing Peter to pay Paul.

So for a Ref book crowdfund push, what features or goodies would you like to see?

Re: Oh Boy... Ref Book News

reprints! No need to modify/update them either, imho.

I personally still need: Tower of the Stargazer, Death Frost Doom, People of Pembrooktonshire, No Dignity in Death: the Three Brides, Weird New World.

And I shouldn't be surprised if there's folks wanting Hammers of the God, The Grinding Gear, Vornheim (this should ALWAYS be in print.. it's ridiculously amazing in ways a PDF cannot convey), etc.

I know this runs counter to the LOTFP philosophy, but I think the ref book would benefit from having a monsters section.  Three gm's that I've shown the Grindhouse box to said they liked the system but wouldn't invest in it because they would have to work up monsters from scratch or convert from other systems.  A small bestiary, say 100 monsters and common animals, should serve adequately to act as guidelines for a gm to modify or convert creatures.

Last edited by vfults (2013-08-02 03:49:27)

I put together a possible campaign video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzNJCC6U … e=youtu.be

An expanded monster section - with a new creature generator, plus an expanded set of sample monsters, is in the plans.

JimLotFP wrote:

So for a Ref book crowdfund push, what features or goodies would you like to see?

A 17th century style cloth world map riddled with subtle references to published/future LotFP material would be pretty awesome.

Last edited by Goldsmith (2013-08-03 11:29:21)

1.  Reprints! I concur! +1! Reprints!

2. More adventures!

3. More classes! I don't know if this goes against LotFP philosophy, but I'd love to see the LotFP twist on traditional classes.  Pagan druids? Cultist psionicists? Paladin/crusader/knight? Necromancer?

4.  More spells! Same as above - more spells with the LotFP twist on them, ie. the "A Spell to Grant One’s Heart’s Desire" spell in Better Than Any Man is fucking brilliant.  Would love to see more spells like these to drop into adventures.

5. A 17th century primer.  I suffer from the same fate as many adult gamers -- not a lot of time.  Instead of researching 17th century Europe to get a feel for a setting, a "crash course" guide would be awesome, flavored with LotFP, of course.  Maybe pick a single/five/ten year period and rough in the highlights.  Sections on culture, society/day-to-day life, politics, important events, etc.  Just something to hint at the flavor of the setting, without me having to pretend I'm back in college hitting the books to cram for my history mid-term.

6.  Past occupation tables.  This may go against LotFP philosophy as well, but I think it would help flesh out characters even more with just a die roll -- a table of former occupations for adventurers, with possible advantages.  For example, a character who was a cobbler before turning adventurer would get a +1 to Tinker checks with tools.

Just spitballin' here.

#5 above!

Since it seems like it's becoming (one of) the de facto standard settings for LotFP, I'd like to see this as well

Expand the monster section, maybe use sort of "greatest hits" as example monsters like flailceratops etc.

Last edited by MutieMoe (2013-08-06 12:50:14)

CapnHowdy wrote:

Paladin/crusader/knight?

I think The Knight of Science class (exact class progression found in one of the Green Devil Face magazines) does exactly that. Though the code of conduct restrictions are so severe that it isn't a practical PC class in the long term. Could be fun for one shots for severe internal party conflict.

CapnHowdy wrote:

4.  More spells!*snip*

5. A 17th century primer.*snip*

These sound great!

What happed to Exquisite Corpses? Wasn't it sort of monster generator, it might go well with Ref book.

What I would really like to see is reprint of Death Frost Doom, perhaps as expanded version with rules info in line with LotFP, perhaps a word or two on Duvan'Ku mythos, I'm not expecting any big reveals (keep mysterious mysterious) but your thoughts on the matter.  I know you artsy creative types always look at your past works with horrible disdain but it's a good adventure, totally rocks and has a reputation.

MutieMoe wrote:

What happed to Exquisite Corpses? Wasn't it sort of monster generator, it might go well with Ref book.

That's Poag's thing. I didn't pay him in advance for anything, nobody pre-ordered the book, so if he's not wanting to get it finished and to me, I do have 4098329043 other things to focus on.