Topic: Strange Waters - Why would anyone cast this?

The results of Strange Waters is mostly either death or a very temporary, random magical boon such as flight for d6 turns.  The odds of getting  something that would be beneficial to the current circumstances is pretty darn rare.  Why would anyone bother even preparing this spell let alone cast it?  Just in case anyone wants to play a game of magic roulette?

Re: Strange Waters - Why would anyone cast this?

Could be a fun method of punishment if a Magic User's minions misbehave.

That or if there's a person you really don't like: Suggestion "You will eat two fish when I cast my next spell." then cast Strange Waters II.

Desperation. "Crap we're cornered and the only thing we have that might be useful is this spell on this scroll..."

Bah! There are only two results that result in death and one of them depends on your character class!

Take plenty of minions, cast the spell. Each minion eats a fish before engaging the enemy. Or alternatively, cast the spell directly in a giant monster's maw so he swallows all of them.

... actually, I have to confess. Some of this wild stuff (Weird Vortex, the Wand of the Weird also qualify here) is there for my benefit.

Give it to an NPC and unleash unpredictability and I don't have to care because the NPC was probably going to get killed by the PCs anyway.