Topic: Intelligence and spellcasting

I can't believe I never noticed this before but... In LotFP, you could cast a lvl 8 spell with an Intelligence of 15? Or did I miss the part where it says "Intelligence has to be 10+spell level to cast."?

(And yes, also with Wisdom)

Re: Intelligence and spellcasting

I think that Intelligence requirements (or Wisdom or Charisma or whatever) started with 3rd edition. I liked the idea at first, but I came to regard it as a sort of enforced munchkinism.

In early D&D, having a high Intelligence meant that a magic-user got an experience bonus, i.e. +10% all earned XP if your Intelligence was 16 or higher.

So, a magic-user with 9 Intelligence could still learn 9th level spells, but the one with 18 Intelligence learned them sooner.

BillionSix wrote:

I think that Intelligence requirements (or Wisdom or Charisma or whatever) started with 3rd edition. I liked the idea at first, but I came to regard it as a sort of enforced munchkinism.

In early D&D, having a high Intelligence meant that a magic-user got an experience bonus, i.e. +10% all earned XP if your Intelligence was 16 or higher.

So, a magic-user with 9 Intelligence could still learn 9th level spells, but the one with 18 Intelligence learned them sooner.

I have nothing against the '10+spell level Int' in games using the point-buy system. But for games where one is supposed to roll their stats, it basically forbids players from playing a spellcaster unless they're really lucky.

All that to say, I like how it's handled here.

I like the lack of the 10+ spell level Int requirement. Gives you much more options in character design. You have a much better chance to do something like an arcane archer or a battle mage if you don't have pump Int way up just to have access to spells.

Also.. if you want to, you can put your low stat into Int and have an idiot-savant Magic User! That's nothing short of awesome.

Last edited by Yuritau (2013-02-26 03:28:09)

Yuritau wrote:

Also.. if you want to, you can put your low stat into Int and have an idiot-savant Magic User! That's nothing short of awesome.

This I agree!

I like that in LotFP you aren't forced to choose your class based on your stats to not suck as that class.

"Man has come to dominate the planet thanks to two essential traits. One is intelligence. The other has been the absolute willingness to kill anyone and anything that gets in his way." (Stephen King)
My blog: cradleofrabies.blogspot.com

As a kind of wanky gamer philosophy thing, increasing inflation of ability scores was one of the "bad" parts of A D&D. It is like you need to be as high as this sign to take this ride. Whereas in OSR the army takes anyone who comes.

In the older rule sets the attribute scores were not so important. You roll up the stats and game on. You don't sit there rolling character after charatcer untill you get some "18"s just to make the character "playable"