Topic: Blowgun

About the blowgun missle weapon. What did it does? The damage is blank, and there no rules description.

Last edited by Pendrake (2013-01-11 16:43:06)

Re: Blowgun

I believe you dip the darts in poison before use.

If you wanna give it damage, I usually say 1d2 just for being a little prick, but yeah, mostly it's to administer a poison. I also give the target one extra level of armor, assuming they're wearing any, to compensate for the insta-kill nature of poisons in my games (a blowgun against someone wearing leather is like hitting chain). Also, "what did it does" makes me giggle like a schoolgirl.

Thank you for the replies, the purpose of the blowgun is much more clear now!

About the "what did it does", that's why I thank in portugese (my mother language) and wrote it in english. In portugese is basicaly the same (in this case) if u say "how do this funcion" and "what did it does"... hahaha

Last edited by Pendrake (2013-01-11 20:45:53)

If the target is much bigger than a bird or a squirrel or a cat, a blowgun isn't going to do any damage at all. They're only used for delivering poisons.

Thanks for the info guys, I'm also wandering about this blowgun.

I had a player playing a witch doctor, I treated the blowgun as such:

-2 to AC for targets with AC 15 or greater. Though I like the idea of having armour be one level higher against blowguns as well.
Target saves vs poison or drops to bottom of turn order.

That was more the most basic of poisons, now if my player had wanted to spend money we could have gotten a little more creative with the effects.

I would probably go as far as saying that vs plate armor, only a natural 20 can hit (basically the eye slits or some other equally small gap in the armor), and vs ANY other kind of armor, -2 to attack (possibly more). You're not going to push a small dart/needle through hardened leather or the heavy padding worn under chain mail with only lung power.

Also, keep in mind that a blowgun is a tube that you use to deliver potentially deadly poisons, and you have to put your mouth on it to use it. If you roll a 1 on that attack roll, I would expect that would come with a need to make a poison save yourself!

I have the coin-flip damage because I use HP as an abstraction of well-being in my game, and if you've never been hit by a foam dart with a tack in it, let me tell you it fucking well hurts and is a definite blow to your general well being.

I've been hit many times by home-made blowgun darts (q-tip, cotton pulled off of one end, replaced with a heavy gauge sewing machine needle), that was a game me and a friend played after school when we were young. It hurts a bit to get a needle jabbed 2-ish inches into your flesh, but once you pull it out, there's no more issue.

Throwing darts, on the other hand, are a thick enough and long enough needle to cause pain/discomfort that lasts longer than a minute or so. We only played THAT game once.

You could have them do 0 damage normally and 1d4 on a roll of 20,  piercing someone's eye, gonad or somewhere equally debilitating.