Topic: Bless

The grindhouse edition Bless is pretty awesome - I find the players taking it quite a bit to give themselves an edge.  Always trying to abuse the written word, one of the players asked if a Bless recipient can spend their bless points to reduce someone else's roll instead of modifying their own.

The text is open to interpretation - the subject gains points to allocate "to any future rolls", not limiting it to the recipient's rolls, though I'd argue that's implied.

What say the wise LOTFP forum dwellers?

Re: Bless

Makes sense to me; it gives a bit of a spiritual edge to some things, and not just combat. Oh, you're being chased by a bunch've angry dockhands and, while rounding a corner, you have to dodge around a donkey-cart. So do the dockhands. I'd definitely let my players spend some Bless points on causing the guys chasing them to fumble and get tripped up. I'd only draw the line at letting them positively modify another player's roll, if only because that's stretching the concept just a little too far.

Spell description says it grants the favor of the cleric's deity to the target, and I don't think the influence of a deity should have too many limitations, practically speaking. Some, but not a lot.

I'd rule that the points can be spent on any roll that will have immediate consequences to the blessed character, but still must be declared before the roll is made. If you're in a real bad position and the Big Bad is about to pummel you, spend a few points on his attack roll (effectively a one-shot AC bonus). If you really need to make a good impression on that suspicious guard, spend a few points on a reaction roll. If you just need to escape a foe that's chasing you up a rock wall, spend a few points on their climb check. If a fellow party member is trying to break open a door to help you escape from the approaching acid slime monster, spend a couple points on his open door roll.

But again, if there's no immediate consequence to the blessed character, no help from on high. And I'd also say you'd have to know that someone is making a roll before you can ask a deity to help; no casting bless right before watch duty and telling the GM "I spend 5 points on the first stealth roll against me". Similarly, no spending points on an attack roll if you don't know it's coming, though you can still freely spend the points on your own rolls that respond to things you didn't see coming, like saves vs unseen traps, etc.

Basically, the way I read the spell, spending the points to aid a roll is basically you petitioning the deity for help with whatever you're doing. Kinda like a little mental prayer that effectively takes no time.

Last edited by Yuritau (2013-01-10 10:23:20)

Why limit player creativity?

I think it sounds perfectly reasonable, but I'd say the roll would have to have immediate negative consequences for the character being protected by his/her deity. Not that it's probably more than a formality, but still...

Blogging about OSR at Deep Delving

Storapan wrote:

Why limit player creativity?

I think it sounds perfectly reasonable, but I'd say the roll would have to have immediate negative consequences for the character being protected by his/her deity. Not that it's probably more than a formality, but still... basketball stars

Although I think that makes perfect sense, I'd suggest the character who is being shielded by his or her deity would have to experience the roll's repercussions right away. Although it's probably little more than a formality, yet...

Last edited by paxtonleiny (2023-06-17 09:43:42)