Re: Rules & Magic: What Needs Cleaning Up?

The duration of Spell Immunity doesn't match the description.

Is "Strange Waters II" the only version of the Strange Waters spell in the Rule book?

I only have GrindhouseRulesMagicFree.pdf at the moment.

Last edited by Glipkerio (2012-08-14 05:38:02)

Glipkerio wrote:

Is "Strange Waters II" the only version of the Strange Waters spell in the Rule book?

It is. It's an alteration/perversion of a spell (Strange Waters) that Matt Finch originally did in the S&W Eldritch Weirdness supplement.

Don't change Strange Waters 2! I thought it was quite hilarious that there would be a spell named with a 2, with no previously existing version of it. I think magic should have more incongruities like that! Magic is chaotic and strange, and so are magic users, to an extent. Or, if you crave reason and sensibility, perhaps a magic user researched a spell can strange waters, didn't like the results, and re-made the spell, and only ever shared the second one.

JimLotFP wrote:
Glipkerio wrote:

It is. It's an alteration/perversion of a spell (Strange Waters) that Matt Finch originally did in the S&W Eldritch Weirdness supplement.

I love the Eldritch Weirdness book. I wish all of its spells were in the LotFP Rules & Magic book. Maybe in the next printing after all the Grindhouse boxed sets have been sold? smile

Geoffrey wrote:

I love the Eldritch Weirdness book. I wish all of its spells were in the LotFP Rules & Magic book. Maybe in the next printing after all the Grindhouse boxed sets have been sold? smile

I kind of think it's bad form to take too much from any one OGL source...

"Bookspeak" is listed as a first level spell in the Magic-User Spell List on Page 86 of The Grindhouserulesfree.pdf but the spell description is missing (at least I can't find it)

Also on that same list, "Read Magic*" is not numbered. It appears after "Message" and before "Shield"

Last edited by Glipkerio (2012-08-19 06:22:30)

The "Read Magic" being unnumbered is by design, as you automatically have that in your spellbook and you randomize the rest.

The Gate spell either needs to be deleted from the spell descriptions, or it needs to be added to the list of 9th-level magic spells.

Is it intentional that the Magic-users' version of Dispel Magic does NOT include the following statement: "If the caster casts Dispel Magic as a touch effect, then any item so touched is permanently disenchanted."

Geoffrey wrote:

Is it intentional that the Magic-users' version of Dispel Magic does NOT include the following statement: "If the caster casts Dispel Magic as a touch effect, then any item so touched is permanently disenchanted."

Yes, it is intentional.

What's the point of dying taking d10 minutes at -3 hitpoints if even magical healing doesn't work?

Heikki Hallamaa wrote:

What's the point of dying taking d10 minutes at -3 hitpoints if even magical healing doesn't work?

Mechanical support for the old "you find this mortally wounded guy who has Very Important Last Words, but he's going to die no matter what you do" trick.

This isn't an error, but it would be nice if the page numbers of the spells were listed on the Mage & Cleric Spell List Pages.

Glipkerio wrote:

This isn't an error, but it would be nice if the page numbers of the spells were listed on the Mage & Cleric Spell List Pages.

That is a great idea!

On the character sheet, you could remove the money box entirely. Since a hundred coins takes a slot anyway, you should use the slots for money as well. Just write it out somewhere, so people won't miss it.