Topic: Death Frost Doom: What Needs to be Fixed for the 3rd Printing?

Fix the map legend.

Add in an extra note in the opening hallway that it travels toward the north, not the east.

Add a note to location #3 that "fresh tooth" means "tooth that has not previously been in a basin" rather than "immediately out of a living mouth."

Add a note to location #22 clarifying/revising what awakens the thing in the pit.

What else is needed? Have you spotted any typos?

Re: Death Frost Doom: What Needs to be Fixed for the 3rd Printing?

Just finished reading the PDF. You sick, sick fuck.

There's an unfinished either/or construction at the bottom of p. 18: "Flipping a coin in will either increase one random ability score (roll d6 to determine which)." The next sentence suggests you should nuke "either."

In general, the text is inconsistent in describing how to remove curse x, y, or z, or how long the effect lasts. Not a problem for most DMs.

The "will suffer a -1/5% penalty" construction is a bit awkward. Instead, how about "will suffer a 5% penalty (-1 on d20)" ?

When you refer to a location key or a chapter title, it couldn't hurt to include a page number reference in brackets.

Some online commenter suggested adding contrast to the shrine map's negative space. I filled the negative space quickly in Photoshop (magic wand tool at 90% tolerance selects grid but not walls) and the legibility gain is HUGE. I can email you a layered PSD file if you like.

That's all that stood out.

Kudos, James, freaky module. :)

"If the character touching the gem survives alignment shock, the gem will fly up and embed itself in the forehead of the victim."
- Jaquays, Dark Tower, (p.7).

I would recommend flipping the surface map. The maps for the cabin and the shrine both have north to the right, but the surface map has north to the left. I didn't have any trouble determining north on the shrine map, but the transition from the surface map to the cabin map was disorienting.

Thanks for the help so far.

Jeff wrote:

Some online commenter suggested adding contrast to the shrine map's negative space. I filled the negative space quickly in Photoshop (magic wand tool at 90% tolerance selects grid but not walls) and the legibility gain is HUGE. I can email you a layered PSD file if you like.

Looks like I have a project today! I filled in the negative space for the 2nd printing of the print version (and wiped out the scale and compass points altogether, gakk!), but didn't do that to the pdf since it would make printing it an absolute nightmare. However, there really is no reason I can't simply erase the lines in the negative space and end up with a much better looking pdf map that can still be printed if people want to do that.

I have a project today!

I'm posting this 7 months after the thread was written, so I might be a bit late to the party.

First let me say that your Death Frost Doom is a brilliant module. I can't wait to run this, as well as incorporate the design principals you demonstrated in my own stuff. I especially love how the nastier events are preceded by less dangerous effects - if the players fail to learn that doing action 'a' leads to bad things, then they deserve what comes to them if they do action 'a' again, and again, and again. You've really shown me how to design things that penalize the players for poor play without being 'gotcha!' traps. Consider me a fan and plan to now pick up all your other publications.

Anyway, small suggestion for any future revision. (Trying to not give spoilers). I think there a lack of clarity on p.9 in room I, where the text reads 'and an open door behind the altar to the right of the ... (location 22).'

When I read that, I pictured looking head-on at the altar with a door to the right of the altar - but it is referring to the SW corner of the room, which is to the left of the altar when viewed head-on.

What I think you meant is 'and an open door behind the altar to the ....'s right (location 22).' That would refer to the SW corner independent of how I visualize it in my head.

Yeah, the third printing was done about a month or so ago. I did make some revisions, but I don't remember if that was one of them...

I haven't read the box set yet, but it should be here any day.

If DFD is supposed to be compatible with WF, and WF has no monster list, then shouldn't you stat the monsters? Most GM's won't need it since we have access to old books or other clones, but the new people might need it.

The new third printing of DFD has stats for the monsters.

P14 A19
"If any coins are removed basin ..."
Should be: "If any coins are removed from the basin ..."