Topic: The Lineup

For the campaigns beginning July 1 and ending July 30.

Writer/artist combos
Vincent Baker (bio) with Cynthia Sheppard (bio)
Monte Cook (bio) with Eric Lofgren (bio)
James Desborough (bio) with Satine Phoenix
Cynthia Celeste Miller (bio) with Rowena Aitken (bio)
Kevin Crawford (bio) with Earl Geier (bio)
Michael Curtis (bio) with Amos Orion Sterns (bio)
Richard Pett (bio) with Michael Syrigos (bio)
Mike Pohjola (bio) with Joel Sammallahti (bio)
Jeff Rients (bio) with Stuart Robertson (bio)
Juhani Seppälä (bio) with Rich Longmore (bio)
Jeff and Joel Sparks (bios) with Mark Allen (bio)
Jennifer Steen (bio) with Jason Rainville (bio)
Jukka Särkijärvi (bio) with Jason Rainville (bio)
Ville "Burger" Vuorela (bio) with Juha Makkonen (bio)

Doing writing and art
Aeron Alfrey (bio)
Johnathan Bingham (bio)
Dave Brockie (bio)
Kelvin Green (bio)
Anna Kreider (bio)

Re: The Lineup

No pressure then. Crikey.

kelvingreen wrote:

No pressure then. Crikey.

None at all. big_smile

It's good. It'll force me to up my game. Literally!

Last edited by kelvingreen (2012-06-03 12:52:12)

JimLotFP wrote:

For the campaigns beginning July 1 and ending July 30.

<snip>

Kevin Crawford with Earl Geier

Is this the same Kevin Crawford or Stars Without Number fame? If so, I'll definitely back his adventure!

golan2072 wrote:

Is this the same Kevin Crawford or Stars Without Number fame? If so, I'll definitely back his adventure!

It is.

I'm buying.

Nice!  I'm working up some stuff right now!

-John Bingham

My OSR project updates, Old School/OSR Product Reviews, Open Gaming Conent, art previews:  http://xyanthon.blogspot.com"

Time to grab some overtime at work...

New name added to the lineup, which will be the last unless that celebrity connection pans out.

Ed Dove wrote:
JimLotFP wrote:

...that celebrity connection...

If the "celebrity" isn't Jon Favreau, have you tried to contact, or even considered, him?

The celebrity I'm thinking of is closer to Dave Brockie than Favreau or any Hollywood type.

Very nice line-up. I would have loved to see a couple from the Hardcover-campaign carried over (Graeme Davis & Zak mainly) but it's cool with new faces.

I'm also looking very much forward to reading pitches/teasers from the less known people, to read what they plan to do with Lamentations.

Go campaign!

I can tell you that mine will address the shameful omission from Appendix N of the films of John Carpenter.

kelvingreen wrote:

I can tell you that mine will address the shameful omission from Appendix N of the films of John Carpenter.

I'd buy into that.

The adventure I'm working on certainly has element's of John Carpenter's the Thing.  Explaining it to a coworker it's best summed up as the Tunguska Explosion in Russia 1908 meets the Failed Sir John Franklin Expedition of 1854 meets John Carpenter's The Thing.  Or something to that effect wink.

My OSR project updates, Old School/OSR Product Reviews, Open Gaming Conent, art previews:  http://xyanthon.blogspot.com"

Ed Dove wrote:
Xyanthon wrote:

The adventure I'm working on certainly has element's of John Carpenter's the Thing.  Explaining it to a coworker it's best summed up as the Tunguska Explosion in Russia 1908 meets the Failed Sir John Franklin Expedition of 1854 meets John Carpenter's The Thing.  Or something to that effect wink.

Sounds not only interesting, but also probably easily usable in any game-world where neither magic nor technology enable the characters to avoid becoming isolated & vulnerable. I might have to buy into it!

Indeed, I hope you do wink!

Johnathan Bingham bio:

Johnathan Bingham, freelance artist, lives in Italy with his exotically beautiful American wife and two wonderful children (whom he seeks to nurture into to his cultural adoration of the finery points of geekdom).  Heavily involved with the “Old School Renaissance” in the Role Playing Game world, Johnathan is highly interested in developing and supporting hobbyist gaming projects.  Johnathan has been involved with doing art for the Old School Reference Index and Compilation (better known as OSRIC), Brave Halfling Publishing, Expeditious Retreat Press, Black Blade Publishing, Trey Causey’s Weird Adventures, Open Design, Swords and Wizardry, North Wind Publishing and Small Niche Games. A fan of the Do It Yourself (DIY) ethic; Johnathan enjoys listening to a wide range of Indie music (garage, rock/punk, folk, alt country) being a beer snob (German/Belgian/Irish/English and microbrews), Role Playing Games, and comics/comix.

http://xyanthon.blogspot.com/

Eric Lofgren bio:

Eric Lofgren was born and lives in Western Canada. He's had a long history of working in one graphic field or another. Beginning with two years working in a commercial sign shop and 10 years running his own sign business. Also one year as a digital photo-retoucher, a year full time as a landscape painter and two years as a tattoo artist. And finally, a recognised freelance illustrator in the RPG and CCG markets since 1999.

Currently his tasks as a commercial illustrator include cover art, collectible card art and interior book illustrations. All in colour, black & white or grayscale, as well as computer game conceptual design.

http://www.ericlofgren.net/

Kevin Crawford bio:

Indie author of the award-winning Stars Without Number RPG and the Red Tide campaign setting for Labyrinth Lord, Kevin Crawford issues his work under the Sine Nomine Publishing label. A steadfast devotee of the sandbox game, Crawford has spent decades at the table- and now he's bringing some of his favorite tools, settings, and GM helps to his fellow fans of old-school sandboxing.

http://www.sinenomine-pub.com/

Earl Geier bio:

Earl Geier was born and lives in Chicago, Illinois. Has has done horror, fantasy and science fiction artwork in the role playing game industry for Fasa (Battletech, Mechwarrior, Shadowrun, Earthdawn), Chaosium (the H. P. Lovecraft based Call of Cthulhu and the Michael Moorcock based Elric), TSR (Dungeons and Dragons), Fantasy flight (DiskWars), Dark Conspiracy for GDW, Whispering Vault for Pariah Press, Robotech for Palladium, Unknown Armies (Atlas Games), West End Games and others. I've illustrated books for Cemetery Dance, Chaosium, Gryphon and Subterranean Press, and covers for The Fandom Directory. In the comic book world I've had work published by Dark Horse Comics, Comiczone, Now, Innovation and DC Comics Paradox. Earl's artwork was also featured as background in the series finale of the TV show Supernatural “Let it Bleed.”

www.baldegografix.com

James Desborough bio:

James 'Grim' Desborough is a somewhat notorious game designer and auteur of Postmortem Studios. An Origins award winner for his work on The Munchkin's Guide to Powergaming, he has also worked for Wizards, Steve Jackson Games, Mongoose Publishing and Cubicle 7, amongst others. While his work covers a swathe of genres, game types, and systems, he is most likely to be remembered for Hentacle, the tentacle hentai card game. Such is the price of fame.

http://postmortemstudios.wordpress.com/

Mike Pohjola bio:

Mike Pohjola has written two novels, three table-top roleplaying games, several theatre plays, several larps at art festivals and for fun, some short films, digital games, interactive projects, and lots of other stuff. He has founded two award-winning companies, that together have won an International Emmy Award for Best Interactive Tv Service (The Truth About Marika), two Interactive Rockies (Conspiracy For Good) and a Prix Europa (The Forest of Babel).

Pohjola was born in Ulvila on the coast of the Bothnic Gulf, and has since lived in Naantali, Turku and finally Helsinki, gradually making his way south and east on the Finnish coastline. If this goes on, he’ll live in St Petersburg by the end of the decade. He is married to film producer Elina Pohjola, and together they have a one-year-old son Aslan.

Pohjola has been a guest of honor at several fantasy, anime and roleplaying conventions around the world including cities like ń in Poland, New Jersey in the US, Lucca in Italy, Meinz in Germany, and Tampere in Finland. He has also given speeches and keynotes in countless transmedia conferences ranging from Ontario to Lapland.

Together with Christopher Sandberg, Mike Pohjola has founded the Stockholm-based media house The company P. Through the company, Pohjola has co-operated with Hollywood showrunners such as Joss Whedon and Tim Kring. He has written and designed participatory dramas, interactive experiences and live events taking place in England, Zambia, Sweden, United States, all around Europe, and internationally online.

With his wife Elina Pohjola, he has a production company called Pohjola-filmi focusing on northern and Nordic cinema. Their short film The Forest of Babel won a Prix Europa Award in Berlin in 2010. The film is about three children in Lapland, each speaking a European language that has no official status in the EU – Kurdish, Basque and Northern Sami. The Forest of Babel is still touring festivals all around Europe. Pohjola-filmi now has two longer films in post-production.

Mike Pohjola’s first novel Lost Tears (Kadonneet kyyneleet, 2008) combines fairytale fantasy and gritty reality. It’s about a thirteen-year-old girl who used to visit a fantasy world as a child. Or maybe she was crazy. Now she’s treated for schitzophrenia and the fantasy world is in the midst of a horrible civil war.

His second novel Son of Man (Ihmisen poika, 2011) is an autobiographical story about a young man who thinks he might be the second coming of Jesus Christ. His world-view is influenced in part by the Bible, in part by Star Trek - The Next Generation. The young would-be Jesus encounters girls, Dungeons&Dragons, heavy metal, larp, political activism, communal living, lots of priests, corrupt politics, graffiti, strange Christian cults, goth clubs, and might even end up dying for the sins of the world.

Pohjola’s first tabletop roleplaying game was The Age of Storm (Myrskyn aika, 2003), a fantasy game about people living inside an evil empire trying to overthrow the tyranny. The pan-European larp Dragonbane (2006) was set in the world of The Age of Storm.

His second RPG was Star Wreck Roleplaying Game (2006), based on the Finnish sci-fi parody film series Star Wreck. It was also a parody of the official Star Trek Roleplaying Game, and a whole lot of science fiction cliches. The game is available as a free PDF (without the great art) here: http://rpg.starwreck.com/

His latest and most personable roleplaying game Star (Tähti, 2007), is about a Maoist mutant girl band in the near future. Instead of dice the conflicts are solved by reading  and intepreting fortune cookies.

This January saw the premiere of Pohjola’s heavy metal stage show 1827 – Infernal Musical. It’s a grand story about a the Great Fire of Turku in, yes, 1827. The songs are heavy metal classics from Iron Maiden, Metallica, KISS, Judas Priest, and the like, as well as Finnish songs from Nightwish, Lordi, Teräsbetoni, Timo Rautiainen and others. The book for the musical was written by Pohjola, an epic adventure with romance, horror, sword fights, despair and saving the world. All the performances were sold out and the musical got rave reviews from critics. Pohjola is currently turning the story of the musical into a novel.

In roleplaying circles Pohjola is also known as the designer and game master of several larps, the writer of several theoretical or practical articles on roleplaying, and the creator of the infamous Manifesto of the Turku School. Which can be found here: http://www.iki.fi/mikep/turku/

On top of that, Pohjola spends his time writing film scripts, working on new novels, teaching game design at the MediaLab in the Aalto University School of Art and Design, and playing roleplaying games.

http://www2.uiah.fi/~mpohjola/

Rich Longmore bio:

Rich Longmore, who lives in Connecticut with a relatively normal wife and two daughters, has been drawing monsters since he could hold a pencil, and used to cut classes in high school so he and his nerdy friends in the "Hyborean Legion" could chuck spears at each other in the woods. He managed to pass enough classes to graduate and go on to get an illustration degree at Parsons School of Design, and now gets paid for doing the same kind of nonsense he used to get in trouble for.

http://richlongmoreillustration.blogspot.com/

Jeff and Joel Sparks bios:

Jeff “Bighara” Sparks and his dog’s nose appear as frequent contributors to forums about numerous RPGs as well as miniature painting. A longtime fan and collector of systems from the hobby’s early history, Bighara embraced the coming of the Old School Revolution with unseemly glee. His cave-like game room, complete with custom green felt table, scores of system books, well-stocked beer fridge, and over 1,000 minis, serves as playtest headquarters for Faster Monkey Games. Jeff is the author of several modules including "The Hidden Serpent", "Re-Energizers", and "Skull Mountain."

“Mr. Joel” Sparks, a compulsive writer, first published gaming material with Steve Jackson Games, appearing in Pyramid magazine and GURPS Who’s Who. His monumental fanwork Dungeons & Savages and the follow-up Advanced Dungeons & Savages proved highly popular, and he contributed to the Shark Bytes and Shark Nibbles fanzines. Mr. Joel next became an adventure writer for cardstock scenery masters WorldWorks Games, championing that company’s use of Savage Worlds. Joel is the primary author of the popular "Lesserton & Mor" and "In the Shadow of Mount Rotten," as well as the "All the Treasures of the World" supplements.

http://fastermonkeygames.com/

Jukka Särkijärvi bio:

Jukka Särkijärvi is a writer of games, about games and for games. He contributed two adventures to RPGA's Living Greyhawk campaign, wrote a book about roleplaying games for library distribution in 2007, and has been busy plastering his articles, reviews, columns and designs on every available surface in the Finnish roleplaying game scene ever since, including his blog, Worlds in a Handful of Dice. More recently, he translated the Finnish roleplaying game Stalker to English. When not writing, he is organizing gaming events and is presently in the fourth year of his stint as Ropecon's Master of Game Masters. He was recently appointed the Venture-Captain of Finland for the Pathfinder Society organized play campaign.

http://nitessine.wordpress.com/