Topic: Mucking about with firearms rules

Here's my first pass (the scaling damage was lifted from Backswords & Bucklers). Let me know what you think:

Pistol – ROF:1/2  -- Accuracy: Treats chain and plate as leather -- Damage: 1d4 + firers level (minimum +1)

Arquebus – normal shot ROF: 1/2 -- Accuracy: Treats chain and plate as leather -- Damage: 1d6 + firers level (minimum +1)

Arquebus – small shot ROF: 1/2 -- Accuracy: No hit roll, victims save to avoid damage -- Damage: 1d4 + level against a small cluster of opponents, save for half

Misfire – on an unadjusted hit roll of 2-5 the firearm jams and will need to be cleared, taking 1d6 turns. On a roll of 1 the firearm explodes, requiring a saving throw vs. (???). Success means the wielder suffers a normal hit (including level adjustment). Failure results in the wielder losing fingers, an eye, their jaw, etc and being reduced to 1 - (1d4) HP

Last edited by Andrew S (2012-01-01 10:16:17)

Re: Mucking about with firearms rules

Saving roll against breath weapon, as it's an explosion?

"Man has come to dominate the planet thanks to two essential traits. One is intelligence. The other has been the absolute willingness to kill anyone and anything that gets in his way." (Stephen King)
My blog: cradleofrabies.blogspot.com

One idea on how to make early guns more efective could be to make them cause fear i.e require the party thats being shot at to make a morale check. There are plenty of stories about how early hand cannons or arquebuses caused entier companies to flee during battles.

That way even a matchlock gun can be of some use. Otherwise they risk becoming a one shot affair with a 25 % chance of failing completely.

If you want you can have different qualities of guns. The finer the weapon is the lower the risk of a misfire. Or it could depend on the period  i.e a late 17th century flintlock is more reliable then an early 16th century matchlock.

James, any hints on how firearms will work and be described in the up coming The God that Crawls supplement?