Topic: What Level of M-U (or Elf?) would Elric be in mid-Stealer of Souls?

In a similar vein to this thread, I'm curious about how you would conceptualize the famous weird-fantasy anti-hero, Elric of Melnibone, in the middle of his adventures in Stealer of Souls (about the time he cheats the merchants and kills that sorcerer). Would he be a "pure" M-U, or rather an Elf (to represent a Melnibonean)? And what level would it be?

My general idea is to stat him as a 6th-level Elf, who has a powerful sentient magic sword (Stormbringer) to which he is addicted, and who uses the Summon spell a lot...

Re: What Level of M-U (or Elf?) would Elric be in mid-Stealer of Souls?

Any more takes on this? big_smile

I'm with Ed, unfortunately I don't remember the stories well enough to have a meaningful opinion.

Elric would probably best be represented by more of a classic D&D elf - i.e., with an advanced attack bonus.

Generally, discussions about Elric on D&D forums often suggest that he's more of a cleric than a MU, but considering the summoning spell in lotfp, and the general flavor of lotfp magic users, the elemental summoning abilities of Elric are kind of in step with how James has retooled the "feel" of the magic user. Add in "summon elemental" from 1e or basic D&D, and I think the setup is complete. As far as level is concerned, IMO Elric is at the top of the AB scale. The 1e D&DG gave him a STR of 6 and CON of 3, which of course are brought way up when he's on his drugs or wielding Stormbringer. I don't know that he needs a very high magic use level so to speak, but his domination rolls in something like a summoning spell should be rather high.

IIRC the spells that Elric uses are usually summoning/banishing spells, as well as some weather effects. So he'd be an M-U or Elf as they are the ones who get Summon, which is his signature spell. He does seem to fit LotFP, however, as he might summon up fire elementals but never launch a fireball or other flashy non-summoning magicks.

On a related note,